Stories and news from the MBCHB degree programme

A few things I wish I’d known before starting Y1 Medicine

Anisha Page, Y1 medical student
Anisha Page, Y1 medical student

Hi I’m Anisha, just finishing up my first year of Medicine at the University of Edinburgh.

As I sat down to write this blog, I trawled through the Edinburgh website looking for inspiration. Suddenly, I saw a photo that I recognised, then a title, then another. I realised that these were the blogs I was poring over before I started university. My stomach lurched even now as I remembered how nervous I had been, how I had scrutinised these blogs, tried to imagine myself being at university, being amongst these students who seemed so sure of themselves.

First year is so much fun! I am sitting at home now, with the second semester cut drastically short, wishing I could still be there… So, I want to give you my top tips on how to have an amazing first year too.

Choosing your accommodation

If you choose university accommodation, I think you need to consider two main things: catered or self-catered and location. I stayed in Pollock Halls which is catered, and it was great. I had the chance to meet so many different people, there was something going on all the time and eating meals was such a sociable affair. Moreover, Pollock Halls is so big that there would always be people walking the same way as you.

However, it can be hard not to have a proper base: a kitchen you can invite people back to, a ready-made group of flat mates to look out for you. In catered accommodation, you have to make a really big effort to meet people; there were times when I didn’t want to go down to the common room by myself but it has to be done, and I’m glad I did.

Ultimately, all the accommodations are excellent, and you will make friends and enjoy yourself, no matter where you stay, so again, don’t worry too much about this either.

Anisha at the Medics' Ball
Medics’ Ball in McEwan Hall

It’s first year, chill out

Before I started university, a friend gave me this advice: “Don’t miss out on having fun and doing things because you have too much work to do, work when others are wasting time.”

This confused me at first. How was I supposed to go out when I wanted to, join the clubs I was interested in and still do the work required? It seemed impossible but I soon found out that it wasn’t. Go out, have fun, but when others are nursing a hangover, or scrolling through their phone, that’s when you need to get up, that’s when you need to get in your extra hours.

And it will work! I was able to go on mountaineering trips, try to learn ice climbing, go somewhat reluctantly on freezing cold sunrise ocean swims and still do enough work to get by…

Don’t worry if you aren’t top of the class

If you aren’t doing particularly well anymore, that’s fine and normal. Many of you will be used to being the top in your class, maybe without even trying that hard. That is not going to be the case anymore, in fact, you may find yourself sadly wondering if you will even pass.

My best advice would be to go to your lectures, make notes and try to understand as you go along, but that’s it. Don’t try and be perfect, don’t try to learn EVERYTHING or consult 500 different text books. Stay on top of work but don’t let it consume you.

Anisha at a tutorial, taking blood for the first time
Anisha at an RMS tutorial, taking blood for the first time

Reach out to your academic family

When you get here, you will become part of a medic family with second year parents. Do not underestimate how much fun you have with your academic siblings and the support you get from your academic parents.

Your academic parents are always there to help you out: from easing you into university life with family dinners and arranging crazy challenges, to sharing their essays when the frantic deadlines approach. They have been through everything you will be going through so whether you just can’t understand a certain topic, have no clue how to start an essay or simply need someone to talk to, they will be there for you. They know how difficult it is to come to a city where you don’t know anyone, and everything is unfamiliar, and they want to help you. I definitely am extremely excited to be a parent and can’t wait to meet you.

Join a medic society

I joined medics’ hockey and I can honestly say that I am a complete disaster when it comes to hockey, but it doesn’t matter! Being a part of a medics’ sport is so much fun. Everyone is welcoming and friendly and looks out for each other. It is great knowing people in other years too so you can get advice and, sometimes just reassurance that other people have got through this, and you will too!

Anisha and friends doing handstands at the beach
Sunrise swim

Beaches, hills, cafes and restaurants

I hope this advice helps gets rid of some of those nerves. You’ve made a great choice coming to Edinburgh, it’s got everything! You are only a 20-minute cycle ride from Portobello beach, close to the beautiful Pentland hills and you even have Arthur’s seat on your doorstep – no better place to go, especially at sunset!

There are so many independent cafes and restaurants, not that you will be going there often, but when family visits…It has more bookshops per area than any other city, and of course, a medic’s favourite…Big Cheese (Edinburgh’s biggest student club night). I cannot think of a better place!