Christina Cruikshank Miller (1899-2001) had a distinguished career in Chemistry and was among the first five women elected to the Royal Society of Edinburgh. To honor her contributions, a building at the University’s School of Chemistry was renamed the Christina Miller Building in 2014. Born in Coatbridge, Scotland, Miller overcame hearing damage caused by childhood illnesses and pursued a career in industrial analytical chemistry. She graduated with distinction in 1920, earned her PhD in 1924, and became a pioneer in the field.
One of Miller’s notable achievements was producing the first sample of pure phosphorus trioxide in 1928, which debunked previous claims about its properties. This groundbreaking work earned her the Keith Medal from the Royal Society of Edinburgh and a Doctor of Science (DSc) award. Despite losing her sight in one eye due to an explosion in 1930, Miller continued her career in analytical chemistry and became known for her dedication to her students as the director of the teaching laboratory.
Miller retired in 1961 due to health and family commitments. Her legacy lives on as an accomplished chemist, inspiring educator, and one of the pioneering women in her field.