Devastating delay from 200 days to go but what was I thinking? First, I had no actual need to submit the thesis until 2022 September which was a year and seven months on from that first blog post.  I guess I was aiming for five years rather than the full six of the part-time student. 

At 12 noon on the 29 Feb I submitted my thesis. Three years’ after I wrote that first post. Font is important whatever they say. I cannot do Helvetica or Arial on that thesis, and chose Yu Gothic UL which I had used all along for, well, five years. It turned out to be a Japanese font and developed to make lengthy texts readable. Amazing how Jap fonts like this one, Zen Old Mincho leap out at me as being far more legible than others. Yu Gothic spaces the words out more than Calibri for instance, and come in five weights so I tried out Yu Gothic Medium for the title and Header 1.
If you have an issue with the TOC chapter on same page as the subtitle in a different line, just place it on the same line with no para breaks, create your TOC and then change the titles on the pages to appear in different lines. Return to TOC and update page numbers only, not the field codes. There you go. All present and correct on one line Chapter One, title, page number.

The dedication was short, acknowledgements limited to the few who contributed to the document and fieldwork. I did not praise my friends for being friends, or my parents for birthing me, but it is entirely up to you. I did not win a Grammy; it was a work of research and it is my work within an institutional framework of university. I thanked the IT team for their support. I am not sure how many did but hey, Angie sorted out a laptop exchange during lockdown and restored my folders through remote access which was nothing short of awesome!

There really is no other way to write that thesis apart from finding your thesis voice, returning to the chapters once you fine-tune your theoretical analysis and edit the chapters that carried your earlier thinking and voice. Yes, I did as much as I could. And I have one chapter that I was told was ‘terribly good.’ I think, that is not too shabby, for it is not the chapter but where you have arrived in writing it out in the way you did, that signals the end of the doctoral journey.

All the very best with yours! I am contactable post-thesis by commenting on the sister-blog  ThesisWroteMe