Key Leadership Activities

My current primary leadership role is as President of the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics. I am also a member of the Research Excellence Framework (REF) sub-panel for Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences. I have been appointed by the Director General of the European Space Agency to its Advisory Committee for Earth Observation, the senior advisory body to the Director of Earth Observation, for 2020-2.

I have participated in a large number of institutional and department reviews within Europe, most recently in Helsinki and Potsdam.

I continue to serve on American Geophysical Union awards committees.

I was a member of NERC’s Training Advisory Board until 2019, including Chairing the mid-term review of its first Doctoral Training Programme, the School of GeoSciences’ Earth and Planetary Sciences Institute Head from 2014 to 2016, and the Deputy Head of School 2016-17. I have been a member of several appointment panels, including for the Royal Society and the Royal Society of Edinburgh. I was President of the Royal Astronomical Society, which is concerned also with solid Earth geophysics, for the period 2004-6.

I am an editorial board member of the Royal Society’s Open Science journal.