University of Edinburgh Technicians

University of Edinburgh Technicians

Blogs by Technicians Sharing Experiences, Best Practice and More

Science Council Professional Registration – Takeshi Fujisawa

Takeshi Fujisawa, is a Senior Scientist and Laboratory Manager at the BHF Cardiovascular Biomarker laboratory in Centre for Cardiovascular Sciences in the QMRI, BioQuarter and shared some thoughts on his experience of becoming Professionally Registered as a Chartered Scientist (CSci)

“I was thrilled to be awarded Chartered Scientist from the Science Council and gain membership of the Institute of Science and Technology (IST). The Professional Registration workshop organised by Dr Natalie Homer made me aware of the award and encouraged me to apply for it. The lockdown caused by COVID-19 pandemic was a unique opportunity to work on the application form. At first, I found the application process to be quite daunting. But I soon realised that I should look at it as a professional development and confidence-building process. Then it became a chance to take stock of my experience, strengths, and transferable skills.”

“My main motivation to apply for the award and membership was a career change in 2017 from academia to a more technology-based role as a senior scientist and laboratory manager at the BHF Cardiovascular Biomarker lab. Attending the IST conference in Birmingham in 2019, was encouraging. I met technicians, technologists and managers from different disciplines who faced similar challenges in their workplace, especially in setting up a lab. Membership of IST is a valuable marker, for me, in professional development. It’s never been so important to share good practice, and its virtual meeting during lockdown helped me with practical advice regarding COVID-19 proof lab management. And for me, the application process and membership have helped provide a clear vision for milestones for my development. I want to thank technical officer Ms Valarie Gordon for the excellent feedback on my first drafts which helped me to put the essence of the lengthy application form into a nutshell.  I also want to thank my colleague Dr Fiona Strachan for her support and providing me with an excellent sponsor statement. The application was supported by the Technician Professional Registration Fund and provided by Human Resources and the Institute for Academic Development. As a part of the funding, I agree to support others in their applications. It’s an opportunity to ‘pay it forward’, and I’m looking forward to it. It is a rigorous process, but such a valuable one, and there is plenty of support to help anyone to navigate the way and get as much from it as I have.”

Takeshi Fujisawa has worked as a Postdoctoral Researcher in various Universities and joined the University of Edinburgh in 2010.  He now works as a Senior Scientist and Laboratory manager of BHF Cardiovascular Biomarker Laboratory led by Prof Nick Mills within the QMRI. Takeshi is a member of the CVS Research integrity team and one of the contacts for queries about research culture, and ethical issues. He is also a keen baker and often bakes for charity bake sales.