University of Edinburgh Technicians

University of Edinburgh Technicians

Blogs by Technicians Sharing Experiences, Best Practice and More

How to Become a Professional: A Word from the Wise – Marianne Keith

I left University with a lower than desired grade, and after becoming a wet-lab technician, I was unaware of any opportunity to be assessed for expertise. No one has ever marked my ability to produce a clear image showing DNA fragments on an agarose gel, nor tested my ability to troubleshoot a faulty gel-tank. I never gained confidence in what I do, because I never received any feedback. I originally heard about “Professional Registration” at my first HEaTED event. Being Professionally Registered had the potential to satisfy my performance concerns and to supersede my degree.

The Professional Registration (PR) assessment is based upon answers to competency questions, regarding performance in your current workplace or last 3 years and you submit a CV and any qualification certificates, as additional evidence to support your application. Thus, even if you left school with no grades, it is possible for every one of us, up to the most elite and experienced technicians to apply for PR, which recognises our present-day workplace skills. Having been at the top of my grade for several years, being professionally registered gave me confidence to apply for my latest job, at the higher grade, and I was asked to describe PR during my interview! I have the right to put letters after my name (RSciTech) which I love. I would urge you all to sign off your emails with any credentials, to advertise your personal success and consequently the achievements of the combined technical workforce.

Do not undersell yourself. We all have hugely varying backgrounds, experience and subjects of expertise, but aim high when choosing which level to complete (RSciTech/RSci/CSci). I later chose to become a PR assessor to help assess other technicians, but also because assessor training taught me how to answer the competencies in a clear and structured way to justify my working at the appropriate level. When detailing your one, or several examples per competency you should structure your answers into Why, What, and How? There is no such thing as too much information!

Outline your intentions for CPD/training that you hope to undertake over the next year. Being professionally registered is more than just passing the written assessment, it is about showing your continuing commitment to self-improvement by ongoing efforts to undertake learning activities.

It is also mandatory to be a member of a professional body for PR. I knew little about professional bodies when I applied for PR, however, my impression is that you do not appreciate their benefits until you begin to utilise them. Check if there is a suitable subject-specific professional body licenced to award PR, otherwise, consider a broad-spectrum body which promotes all science. I was awarded PR via the IST, which may be attractive to Scotland-based technicians as the IST events/conferences are geographically closer, hence reducing costs compared to London-based professional bodies. The IST is particularly supportive of technical staff. Finally, after becoming a member, attend the conference for your professional body! We are rarely invited to produce posters for conferences, yet they can be a great way to receive credit and recognition for yourself, whilst raising the profile of your line manager and your institution. At the IST conference, you can present on any topic of interest, whether it is your research project, improvements to your undergraduate teaching strategy, the services that your department provides, or tips for finding free CPD.

Career development is a personal journey. It will probably be up to you to seek out training and opportunities for self-improvement. This may simply be a matter of identifying who to speak with, or where to locate the information, so actively start looking by searching the internet, or liaising with colleagues.

Taking advantage of opportunities is vital. If you hear a call for volunteers then show your interest! I became involved with a career development committee which has given me the chance to meet with people from across the University who I would never have had the pleasure of knowing, it has really helped my confidence, and suddenly people listen to my opinions, something I have never known before which is hugely rewarding.

It is also imperative, to attend networking events. Technicians rarely have opportunities to network, which is why HEaTED networking events serve a special and almost unique service in providing technicians with a place to come together in a welcoming environment to make acquaintances, share best practice, and learn about career opportunities. You never know where a conversation may lead you, what doors may be opened.

Many of us lack motivation after years of feeling unappreciated by our institutions, but if we want to make improvements to our career progression prospects, now is the time to do it. With so many institutions signing up to The Technician Commitment, we are finally being listened to, so it is time for all of us to rise up, and be heard.

Marianne Keith is currently a research technician based in The Roslin Institute and sits on The TSSG.

A version of this blog appears in HEaTED Magazine – Autumn 2018/Spring 2019