Overcoming homesickness: tips for international university students

Eva posing outside.
Reading time: 3 minutes

By Eva, Spanish and American raised in the Netherlands, studying MSc Management 

Leaving home behind to go to university isn’t always easy, especially for international students whose homes aren’t a quick bus or train ride away. Personally, I didn’t suffer homesickness as much (don’t tell my parents 😉) because I grew up considering many countries as my home, while at the same time, none of them fully were. However, I did have moments where I missed my family and friends, so I have a few tips on how to deal with homesickness and how to make Edinburgh feel like your new home. 

Keep in touch 

I think it’s very important to keep in touch with your friends and family back home. I always make an extra effort to reach out and stay updated on everyone’s lives, so that when I return home for the holidays, I don’t feel like a stranger.  

For example, you could log your experience by writing a blog or creating a social media account to share updates with friends and family. I found this a great way to stay connected while also documenting all my adventures. 

At the same time, I also think it’s necessary to fully embrace the new experience and environment you’re in. So, although I know it can be tempting, try not to miss out on activities and events by constantly being in touch with everyone back home.

Build your new home 

For me, and I know it sounds cliché, home is where my friends and family are. A great way to make your new environment feel like home is by putting yourself out there, whether it’s joining a society or sport that you love, or by getting together with your flat and course mates. Of course, I know nothing can fully replace home, but as I mentioned before, there’s nothing wrong with having multiple homes.  

I think key to this is stepping out of your comfort zone. While I understand and agree that this is easier said than done, I really do think university is the ideal time to challenge yourself.  

You can do this is by sharing your culture and traditions with others. If you’re really missing a specific holiday or a typical dish from home, why not share it with people who can learn from it? I’ve hosted many potlucks with my friends where we all brought a dish from our home countries and shared them with each other. It’s a great way to appreciate your own culture while discovering others. 

A group of friends enjoying a meal.

Get to know Scotland

You can distract yourself a bit from feeling homesick by discovering all that your new home has to offer. Planning day trips can give you something to look forward to and it will also allow you to familiarise yourself with your surroundings. Scotland has so much to offer, and you can start off by exploring Edinburgh. 

Personal belongings and décor 

Another tip that helped me a lot was to bring photos and decorations from back home. This way, my new room felt cosier and more personalised. I also have a large photo album that I filled with photos of my favourite memories, which I keep adding to as my time at university goes by. 

Recessed shelves with a yellow wall.

You’re not alone 

Although at times it might feel like it, it’s important to remember that many other international students are in the same boat. Feeling homesick is completely normal and we have, or will, all experience it at some point or another, so don’t put too much pressure on yourself if you’re struggling.  

In addition, the university has many resources and support systems in place, so make sure to reach out if it’s all getting a bit much. 

Find out more about what support services you are available at the University here.

Remember how far you’ve come (literally!) 

You’ve moved all the way to another country to start a new chapter in a new city, and that deserves some credit! Before you know it, you’ll be missing Scotland when you’re back home.