Summertime in Edinburgh

View of railings and Edinburgh Castle on a sunny day.
Reading time: 3 minutes

By Aagoon, from India,  studying Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science (BSc)

This year when I finished my exams, and got an internship, instead of heading home for the summer for the short time between the end of exams and start of work, I decided to stay in Edinburgh. And let me tell you, it’s the best decision I’ve ever made! If you’re considering sticking around or just visiting during the break, here’s why you should absolutely do it.

What to do and see

Exploring Edinburgh’s rich history

First things first, Edinburgh is packed with history. I kicked off my summer by wandering around the Old Town. The Royal Mile is a must-see, stretching from the iconic Edinburgh Castle to the Palace of Holyrood house. Each building seems to have a story to tell. St Giles’ Cathedral and the charming closes (alleyways) are perfect for a leisurely afternoon of exploration. Don’t forget to check out the underground vaults—spooky but fascinating!

Nature and scenic spots

For nature lovers like me, Arthur’s Seat offers a breathtaking view of the city. It’s a bit of a hike, but totally worth it. Pack a picnic and enjoy it at the summit. Another great spot is the Royal Botanic Garden. It’s a serene escape from city life and ideal for an afternoon stroll.

View of Arthur's Seat on a sunny day.

Museums and galleries

If you’re into museums, the National Museum of Scotland is phenomenal and free! I spent hours there and still didn’t see everything. The Scottish National Gallery is also a gem, with works by renowned artists. Both are great rainy-day activities (and let’s be real, Edinburgh has its fair share of those).

Entrance to the grand Museum of Scotland building.

The Fringe Festival

The ultimate arts extravaganza

One word: Fringe. The Edinburgh Festival Fringe is the highlight of my summer. It’s the world’s largest arts festival, and it takes over the entire city in August. Streets come alive with performers, artists, and excited audiences. There are literally thousands of shows ranging from comedy and theatre to dance and spoken word.

Must-see shows

I’ve already booked tickets for some stand-up comedy acts and a few quirky theatre productions. The beauty of the Fringe is that you can stumble upon incredible performances in the most unexpected places. Street performances are everywhere, and some of them are just as good (if not better) than the ticketed shows!

Tips for enjoying the Fringe

Pro tip: Get the Fringe app. It’s super handy for planning your days and finding last-minute shows. Also, don’t be afraid to take a chance on lesser-known acts—you might discover something amazing. And, of course, enjoy the street food and pop-up bars scattered throughout the city.

My favourite spots and upcoming plans

Cafes and pubs

One of my favourite things about Edinburgh is its cozy cafes and vibrant pubs. I’ve become a regular at The Elephant House (supposedly where J.K. Rowling wrote part of Harry Potter) and Lovecrumbs for their delicious cakes. For pub vibes, The Royal Dick at Summerhall and The Three Sisters are fantastic.

A display of bottles in the Elephant House cafe

Hidden gems

I’ve also been discovering some hidden gems. Dean Village is a picturesque, tranquil spot perfect for a lazy Sunday walk. Stockbridge Market is another favourite for its artisanal goodies and charming atmosphere.

What I’m looking forward to

The upcoming Edinburgh International Book Festival is high on my list. It’s a haven for book lovers, with author talks, readings, and signings. I’m also excited about the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo. The music, the setting at the castle, the fireworks—it’s all spectacular!

Why you should spend your summer here

In short, Edinburgh in the summer is an absolute blast. There’s always something to do, see, and experience. Whether you’re into history, nature, art, or just looking to have fun, this city has it all. I’m having the time of my life and can’t wait to see what the rest of the summer holds.

So, if you’re on the fence about staying in Edinburgh after exams, just go for it. You won’t regret it!

Want to find out more?

Chat with Aagoon