Finding my footing in a professional environment: My Employ.Ed summer internship at the School of Divinity…

Smiling student selfie within the New College quad

…by Charlotte / from England, UK / studying Philosophy and Theology

Introduction to the job

I am delighted to share my enriching experience at The School of Divinity, where I have had the privilege of contributing to essential communications and teaching preparation activities during the summer of 2024 as a Records Management and Teaching Team Intern, as part of the university’s Employ.Ed on Campus scheme. Located in my very own school, the historic New College, I work in the Professional Services office, with about 15 others, spending three days a week on-site and two days working remotely. My internship runs for 12 weeks, from early June to late August.

A Blend of Responsibility and Learning

I think that it goes without saying that having an internship at the University is incredibly convenient, and has allowed me to stay in the city and earn a consistent salary during the summer months. But alongside this, as someone who is still uncertain about which career path to pursue, this internship has provided me a valuable opportunity to experience the dynamics of a professional work environment without being limited to a specific field. From day one, I have been immersed in tasks that directly support the upcoming academic year. This involves improving the Learn Ultra and SharePoint platforms to meet the needs of both staff and students, especially in our ever-evolving digital age. This is a unique experience and I have found that my input and opinions as a student at the University have been invaluable in this process, as they provide a unique perspective on the needs and challenges faced by the student body.

The Heart of the School: People and Culture

What truly makes my internship memorable is the people I work with. The team in the Professional Services office combines hard work with a supportive culture that encourages growth and collaboration. I feel fortunate that everyone has been incredibly kind, and it has been enlightening to explore a new side of New College that I hadn’t previously experienced as a student. This internship has broadened my perspective on both the school itself and has deepened my appreciation for the diverse roles within it. There’s a face behind every piece of information!

The internship has so far provided me with a skill set that will undoubtedly serve me well in my future endeavours. Conducting accessibility checks on web and SharePoint pages has taught me the importance of inclusivity in digital platforms. Additionally, managing records and assisting with course and assessment data has given me a deeper appreciation for the meticulous planning that goes into academic administration and has reminded me of the extensive administration team working around the clock at the University to ensure students have a positive academic experience.

Challenges I have faced

Of course, amongst the good, there have been some challenges! Working from home has been one of the most challenging adjustments to full-time work, and one that I haven’t faced before, even after being in the workforce part-time for the last four years. I’ve found that it’s crucial to establish a dedicated workspace, free from distractions, where you can mentally transition into work mode. Setting a daily routine and sticking to regular work hours helps create structure and discipline; this includes taking your lunch break and logging off at the end of the workday. Additionally, taking regular screen breaks, staying hydrated, and incorporating physical activity into your day can refresh your mind and boost productivity. I have found that keeping this balance between work and personal life is key to staying motivated and focused while working remotely, through lots of trial and error! Luckily, the team in my office, including my line manager, have been incredibly supportive. They’ve been firm about helping me maintain a healthy work-life balance, which has been really beneficial and definitely something to keep in the forefront of your mind when working.

A student stands at the bottom of the steps to the grand entrance of New College.

Conclusion

In my upcoming EUSA elected role next year, I will work closely with both staff and students. Gaining insights into the behind-the-scenes work of staff has been eye-opening, giving me a clearer understanding of where to direct students seeking assistance when the next semester begins and this knowledge will be invaluable in fulfilling my responsibilities effectively. Understanding the boundaries and capabilities of my EUSA role has also come to light, and I now anticipate a highly productive year, filled with loads of exciting events. I am grateful for the opportunity to have been part of such a supportive and forward-thinking group of staff, and I look forward to what the next couple of months will bring!

Would I recommend this internship to other students? Absolutely. The School of Divinity and the Employ.Ed on Campus team have offered me an environment where I feel like a valued member of the team. Whether you are interested in education, administration, or technology-enhanced learning, or still don’t yet know what you want to do after your degree, this internship provides an excellent opportunity to gain practical experience and make meaningful contributions to both your academic experience and that of your peers, and there are such a huge range of internships to apply for within the scheme, so there’s something for everyone! As an Employ.Ed intern, you also have the opportunity to work towards an Edinburgh Award. This involves selecting a set of skills to develop during your internship, and upon successful completion, you will receive a certificate and HEAR recognition, which is a huge bonus!

As you consider your own career path, remember that the right internship can open doors to new possibilities and shape your future in ways you never imagined. If you’re looking for a summer internship, I urge you to consider one from Employ.Ed on Campus, and to keep an eye on your email inbox in Semester 2 for more information about applications. Good luck and happy summer!

Want to find out more?

Read about Employ.Ed internships