Working part time jobs as a post-graduate international student…

Princes Street at night with a ferris wheel

…by Neeraja / from India / studying Business Analytics (MSc)

Living and studying in Edinburgh is an absolutely amazing experience with lots to explore around its historic charm, adventurous hikes, delicious cuisines, diverse culture and much more. However, managing finances in a city that’s brimming with enticing cafes, vibrant events and social opportunities can get challenging. That’s when working a part time job rewards you in multiple ways.

As an International student, finding a part time job was one of the “firsts” in my to-do list !. As most of you reading this blog might relate to, the thought of coming to a new country, a new city and finding a job can get frightening and frustrating at the same time. But let me assure you, as a fellow friend who experienced all these emotions not too long ago, Everything will be alright. I currently work outside the University in a fast food chain outlet (which I began in September), and within the University as a Student Ambassador, all of which together comes under my 20 hour visa weekly limit (IMPORTANT !!!). 

Here are some important tips that I can share from my experience so far…

🌟 Let’s act smart : One need not necessarily wait to reach Edinburgh to find a part time job as applications are mostly accepted online. I applied via the company website, completed the preliminary screening and had my interview for the job scheduled before I reached the city which allowed me to start the job quite early without much struggle. If you know where you stay, you may use that address to find the nearest opportunities which makes it a lot easier.

🌟 Working outside the University: If not at company website directly, you may use any other online job portals such as indeed.com which in my opinion, is one of the best and easiest platform for finding the right opportunity. The job opportunities may open up in restaurants, fast food chains, textile stores, supermarkets etc. So keep an eye out on these 😉

🌟 Working within the University : The University also offers numerous job roles, some of which may demand 15 hours per week to others that are flexible across the year. All the University job listings can be availed at the University career portal “MyCareerHub” where you may use filters to navigate and find part time job listings.

🌟 Is it really hard to get in? : Honestly, as far as my experience goes, it’s not too hard to find a part time job. If you wish to not take up a job immediately, or instead join in after a couple of months, an opportunity is bound to show up. So it’s also important to not rush into an uncomfortable job just for the sake of attaining one. Additionally, you may also look into short term hires, especially during Christmas vacations, such as the famous Edinburgh Christmas market hires if you wish to only work outside of term time.

🌟 How much will I earn? : As per the newly established minimum rates, from April, 2024, the National minimum wage has gone up to £11.44 for those aged 21 and above (Yay !) You may also use this rate to even calculate your income and compare it with your anticipated expense to plan your financial allocations accordingly.

🌟 Is all of this worth it? : If you ask me, it’s definitely a big-fat-yes” ! Working part time jobs have helped me improve my time management skills, helped me learn more about diverse cultures, improve my soft-skills such as communication, working under pressure, decision making and much more. These jobs not only helped me pay my bills but also improved my skills, which I believe will definitely come in handy during job interviews, especially while answering situational questions. To add another jewel to the crown, these commitments never affected my studies, instead helped me by adding an insider-look of a business enterprise.

Even with all this said, taking ample rest, cutting down on hours at times to focus on academics as well as enjoying the magic of Edinburgh is also equally important. So do take breaks ! Despite the initial few weeks seeming hard, I assure you that once you give it time, it will be one of the most enriching experiences of your Edinburgh journey 🎉

Want to find out more?

Chat with Neeraja