SPS student voices and experiences

Welcome to our new writer, Priyanka!

Welcome to our new writer, Priyanka!

Hiya guys!  

My name’s Priyanka and I’m a 4th year Medical student – but I promise I am writing for the right blog! During my 3rd year I intercalated (which is a fancy word for doing an extra year of study) in Anthropology and Sociology of Medicine, a course run by the University of Edinburgh’s School of Social and Political Sciences (SPS).  

Photo of blog writer Priyanka enjoying brunch in Edinburgh!
Me, enjoying a yummy brunch in Edinburgh.

My parents are from India, but I grew up in South Wales and had barely thought about moving to Scotland until a few weeks before my UCAS deadline when I made the spontaneous decision to apply to Edinburgh. My first visit was the day of my Medical School interview. It was a harsh winter’s day in January and I remember my windswept parents complaining that I wouldn’t be able to survive somewhere so cold (I usually spent winters at home huddled in piles of blankets). But despite the bitter weather, I remember being captivated by the city’s bold architecture and serene atmosphere. This wasn’t just a place that I wanted to study in; it offered a whole new landscape that I felt eager and excited to explore.  

Though I know many people travel from far and wide across the world to study in Edinburgh, travelling a good distance across the UK felt like a big journey for me! I remember feeling exhilarated, and also a little terrified, at the prospect of being so far from home in a city where I knew no one. Now, I honestly couldn’t see myself studying or living anywhere else!  

There are many things to love about the city. One that I especially love is the community feel; every time I walk around the Meadows or about campus and bump into friends and familiar faces, I feel a firm sense of belonging. Another thing I love is the proximity to nature. Although it is vibrant and culturally rich, Edinburgh has several green spaces, bike paths and quiet spots that make it feel much more peaceful and spacious than most cities.  

During my time at university I’ve developed a passion for running. I have been part of the Edinburgh University Athletics Club since my first year, but have also spent a lot of time running in and around the city with friends, and am still discovering new routes. I also enjoy café-hopping, trying out new places to study and snack. I have been vegan since I’ve been at university, and am keen to share some of my favourite spots in future blogs.  

Currently, I am on placement for my medical degree, shadowing healthcare workers in various hospitals and specialities. Last year was a welcome contrast to this though, and I had the most interesting yet challenging time studying alongside other SPS students. My course gave me a great deal of insight into the development of current medical practices and attitudes, and I feel that I have gained a new perspective to carry forward into my own practice. As well as this, I enjoyed reading and learning about non-medical topics, such as on the course War & Peace: An Anthropological Perspective. As well as becoming more knowledgeable, I also gained the confidence and skills to write more clearly and confidently, without which I wouldn’t be able to write these blog posts!  

I’m really looking forward to sharing my experiences and anecdotes from my past few years in Edinburgh, and hope you enjoy reading them too!  

Thanks for listening,  

Priyanka 😊