week 3 blog

In this week’s learning, I encountered two concepts that I find very important: ecological literacy and alternative hedonism.

The term ‘ecological literacy’ comes from the concept mentioned in the book ‘Design, Ecology, Politics’ written by JOANNA BOEHNERT in 2018. Ecological literacy is a type of learning that comprehends the environment as the fundamental basis for prosperity and adjusts cultural priorities accordingly. I believe this is crucial for designers, as it can transform their mindset and perspective. It enables designers to acknowledge the interdependent relationship between humans and nature. Integrating this understanding into the design process enhances the capability for sustainable development and alters my design thinking. It prevents designers from being solely restricted by consumerism.

Another concept that I find very intriguing is alternative hedonism, proposed by the writer KATE SUOER. She believes that alternative hedonism is not about self-indulgent pleasure but about sensory experiences. Constance Classen also discussed this in the book ‘Green Pleasure.’ Due to the convenience of urban living, we enjoy many amenities, but our bodies and senses are also subjected to various degrees of harm, such as noise and pollution. However, if we could live in a sustainable city, although we might experience inconveniences, our senses would be more attuned to the world around us.

Therefore, as a designer, I think we can incorporate the idea of alternative hedonism into our lives. We can replace the indulgent pleasure of the body with a sensory-oriented alternative hedonism.

During this week’s workshop, I collected a lot of information. On one hand, I observed scenes behind the ECA main building where human-made objects built with bricks seamlessly blended with the natural mountain terrain. There were wooden benches installed in the ground, creating a blend of human creativity and nature. This experience made me understand the fusion of human creativity and nature and gave me a tangible sense of alternative hedonism. In such an environment, although I couldn’t experience the modern conveniences of a city, I could feel the freshness of the air and the earthy scent, which relaxed my senses.

Additionally, I believe the integration of human-made objects and nature is a manifestation of ecological literacy. This area was not flattened or directly covered with concrete; instead, it retained natural elements like mud. Human-made structures were erected in harmony with these natural materials, creating a harmonious blend of human and nature, demonstrating a thoughtful integration rather than a disruptive imposition on the environment.

Therefore, I believe as designers, we should change our mindset and incorporate the concept of ecological literacy into our designs, enabling us to have the capability for sustainable development. Moreover, instead of focusing solely on modern conveniences, we can pay more attention to the sensory impressions nature leaves on us. We can transition from mere hedonism to embracing alternative hedonism. I think when we learn to appreciate nature, we naturally acquire the ability to coexist harmoniously with it.

RFERENCE

Boehnert, J., 2018. Design, ecology, politics: Towards the ecocene. Bloomsbury Publishing.

Classen, C., 2013. Green pleasures. Beyond environmental comfort, pp.175-186.