Peer review—Jianan Lu

I will be commenting on ten of your blogs that you have written so far.

First and foremost, each of your blogs clearly expresses the theme of the weekly teaching in the classes and you combine theory and examples through your own independent research to convey the ideas in a simple but accurate way. Secondly, the coherence of your paragraphs and the way you present your reflections is clear. In addition to this, your references to theories are clear. This is crucial for effective blogging and makes it simpler for a wide audience to access your content.

With regards to structure, I think your article is very well structured, as an example of your latest blog, you have divided your article into, pre-class preparation, after-class content and after-class investigation. This very much fulfils the teaching objectives of the lesson.

In terms of content, as I said above, your blog posts are very well structured, but I think that this logical structure can make your blogs wordy and exceed the word count requirement. For example, in Week 8, your blog contained classroom resources to read and after-school independent study, as well as classroom workshop notes, and I think the classroom workshops you could have spread out into a separate blog post to record them. In week 6 of the blog, it is the same problem of too many words. I think your research topic is very interesting. But I would like to give you some advice is that you could try to reduce some of the descriptions of your thinking process. For example, ‘This case inspired me to think….. essence of ephemeral art?’, ‘Whether the…lost due to commercialisation remains to be considered.’ In addition to this, I have seen your research on the art of archiving, and I would suggest that you could research this in the context of the literature we have in this class.

Here are some articles/books for your reference:

Zanella, F., Bignotti, I., Modena, E. & Scotti, M. (2015) MoRE, an archive of signs and traces of artistic practices: creating a tool for research in contemporary art and curatorial practices. Archives and records (Abingdon, England). 36 (1), 56–70. doi:10.1080/23257962.2015.1015260.

Claudia Friedrich (2017) State of the Art Archives | International Conference on Archives Documenting Modern and Contemporary Art. 27 July 2017. Art market studies | Kunstmarktforschung. http://amskoeln.hypotheses.org/1050.

Gül Durukan, S.N. & Tezcan Akmehmet, K. (2020) Uses of the archive in exhibition practices of contemporary art institutions. Archives and records (Abingdon, England). 1–18. doi:10.1080/23257962.2020.1770709.

In addition to this, your blog is very informative and I can see in your content an independent investigation of documentary theory that connects your approach to the field of contemporary curatorial theory and practice.

Regarding the design of the blogs, you have inserted relevant images and videos in each of your blogs and described them correctly. Next, you have customised the blogs as continuous texts, reflecting even more the continuity of your learning process.

In some blogs your posts will be less rigorous. For example, in week 8, the first paragraph,‘However, how do you ensure that art projects…. rather than simply using the community as the context or object of art practice?’I think it exposes the challenge of achieving this understanding in practice: how to avoid the potentially…..is something that must be seriously considered as site-specific arts continue to evolve.’ This content is redundant, it does not support the ‘Place-specific art not only taps into repressed histories and provides greater visibility to…..but also interrogates place’s social and historical dimensions.’, this viewpoint.

Overall, I see that most of your blog is about research and reflection on classroom topics, and although I see that you have mentioned how you will reference the content of your research into your curatorial project, I think it is possible that you may need to do more targeted research on your curatorial theme, form, and location. So I would suggest that you could do some specific research on your curatorial project in the next blogs to make your final curatorial project proposal more accessible.