art assignment

encountering art assignments

say goodbye

Miranda July/Harrell Fletcher- learning to love you more (http://learningtoloveyoumore.com/index.ph)

i completed the first assignment i saw on the Learning to Love you More website called Say Goodbye. perhaps if i hadn’t seen an example of someone else’s response before i started the assignment, my goodbyes would be different. seeing someone write a name made me think of a name and this is what i started with. i was surprised to look at my answers as a mix of emotional and some more ‘instructional’ to myself; my first reaction to the assignment was one that would be emotionally driven as ‘goodbye’ is a loaded term. this task is individualistic and highly subjective upon what the term means to different people and what they would like to say goodbye to. after completing the task, i found myself thinking what the ‘hellos’ would be and would this be offering a more ‘positive’ way of looking at things you essentially are looking to change. i was expecting to only have a few answers to what i want to say goodbye to but i found i could have gone on writing answers for a long time, maybe getting more specific and magnifying on earlier answers.

constructivist- by ‘taking part’ within something like an assignment, you are given an initial tool that has the possibility to be expanded or modified according to the participant. through doing this assignment, i was involved with subjectivity, language, openness and an apprehension of what others may think of my answers. to learn openly, by doing tasks, is to determine your own opinions or conclusions of how you are learning and what you are learning with no or less predetermined ideas of what these may  be.

connectivist- seeing other goodbyes by people i do not know from all over the world? my assignment answers were similar to others, especially ‘big’/emotional terms?

critical pedagogy- important to collaborate to encourage different views, evaluating one anothers work, flexibility in learning setting