WEEK 5

I knew this project had the potential for a strong conceptual idea as soon as I heard the brief. My initial thoughts revolved around eavesdropping, gossiping, and rumours. How words are altered and travel in disguise. I could see my finished piece as I was developing the concept. I wanted to make something that embodied the weight of the words literally. However, as I worked on the piece, I realised that it did not reflect the meaning and degraded the work’s quality.

WEEK 6

I decided to expand on the concept after receiving feedback. I wanted to work with the concept of semantic satiation which describes what happens to a word when it’s said over and over again. The word loses all meaning and becomes a bunch of noises. Unexpectedly, I noticed that when we get off the bus, we often say “thank you” to the bus drivers as a reflex response. Overuse of a word can also lead to its death.

Some experiments with repetition using language.

WEEK 7

Sometimes the concept is so strong and finished that it stands on its own. It is difficult to give a physical form to a well-thought-out idea because it is challenging to produce a work that reflects the concept. What is the most appropriate medium for a well-developed idea? Unlike project 1, I’m finding it harder to explore and resolve this piece.