Week 3 – Burning up the fuel

CONFUSED-BUT NOT REALLY

5.10.2022

Reading group –
The reading was hard for me to grasp and understand at a first glance. As I am not a reader myself, I am trying my best to understand and catch up on some point the author was talking about.

Anthropocene. What is Anthropocene?

‘The Anthropocene Epoch is an unofficial unit of geologic time, used to describe the most recent period in Earth’s history when human activity started to have a significant impact on the planet’s climate and ecosystems.’  – https://education.nationalgeographic.org/resource/anthropocene

In this period in earth, humans has a greater impact to the environment. Their activities has altered the earth it is now. There are several evidence that we have significantly altered our world, including greenhouse gas emissions, climate change, rising sea levels, habitat loss, extinction, and extensive natural resource extraction. It is certainly obvious how our climate has major changes, but this topic is still a popular one to debate about. This period might have actually started in the beginning, it might not be the humans. Who knows. But I am also wondering if humans were not to do things that can benefit them, what else would they be doing or making? What is the purpose of us living if it is not for ourselves? I’ll wrap it up there.

LOST IN THE ENVIRONMENT

6.10.2022

Workshop –

To make this simple, we had half an hour to carry out the activities. There was a sheet given with multiple key words. Our task is to find as much of those things like how we would interpret them. The definition can be different from one person to another. That’s why it was an activity to do alone as we can come up with different interpretation in the end.

Some of the things I found:

Trees – or it can be a shelter
Parks – leisure time
Pipes, related to climate

Eventhough my findings were accurate to the word itself, many others would show different things as the perceive it differently. Shelter can be a house but it can also be a tree. I find it interesting because our backgrounds can also influence how we see things. Not everything has to be generalized and we should educate ourself to see things from different perspectives everytime.

Thanks.

Love, aliah

One thought on “Week 3 – Burning up the fuel

1. It’s really good to see you critically working through some crucial issues addressed on the course. I think you are right in suggesting that it is important that people’s needs are being met and that this inevitably requires the use of natural resources. However – again as you seem to be hinting towards the end of this post – a critical and nuanced analysis of how resources are being used, for what purposes, and by whom will help us to devise better, less wasteful, and more just ways of operating.