Sprint 3 Inhabiting Practice_Reflection

Our class participated in the artist’s toolkit workshop led by the artists Debjani Banerjee and Dan Brown, which took place in the Sculpture Court Balcony in college.

At the beginning of this workshop, we spent some time learning dance steps. I didn’t have much experience in dancing, it was a little difficult for me to dance to the music, but fortunately the steps were not too complicated. We started and ended with the dance, forming a head-to-tail echo, which I thought is like some kind of ceremony means the workshop has a beginning and an end to a successful conclusion. We divided into three groups and took turns to participate in different toolkits, and the first toolkit was drawing exercise. Each person drew a character, animal, or machine on paper and cut the paper into seven pieces. Next, we mixed all the pieces into a pile, and each person randomly selected seven new pieces from it. Then everyone used the pieces to make a new creature or image. Finally pasted them on paper and drew background or environment.

In fact, when I was asked to draw, I didn’t know what to draw. I thought too much and was afraid that I would not be able to do it well, but time was limited, so I drew a rabbit with wings, which was a creature I am more familiar with. When piecing together the pieces, I came up with ideas fast. The pieces I got were a rabbit’s head, a carrot, and some parts that looked like machines, so I created a machine that would produce carrots by putting rabbits in it. The background was a crazy scientist’s laboratory. Drawing exercise was my favorite toolkit in this workshop. Not only was the process of participating in the activity interesting, but it was also fascinating to watch other people’s works. When viewing the works, I could see a person’s personality and ideas through the works, and I felt many of my peers were very creative.

The second toolkit was make a game. Each group worked together to create an art-related game and formulated rules of the game. Our group’s game was to imitate works of art with body languages. In the game, a person needed to give orders. When the person played music, players started to walk around. When the music stopped, the person giving orders would also call stop, and then players had to imitate a closest work of art to them. The third toolkit was treasure hunt. We went out and tried to find a list of things around the college and then photograph. This toolkit was a test of observation because the list included some things that we didn’t usually notice, such as insects and fungus. Although I passed many places and searched hard, there were still some things I can’t find in the end. I thought it was the most challenging toolkit of the three.

All in all, the three toolkits were attractive and everyone had a fulfilling and happy time. I also benefited a lot from this workshop, it helped me a lot to understand how to design a workshop.

1 reply to “Sprint 3 Inhabiting Practice_Reflection”

1. Neil Mulholland says:

Hi Jing-Ting, There’s some good description here of what happened in the second Toolkit workshop. What’s missing is an analysis of the mechanics of the workshops themselves. Why were they designed this specific way? What did they achieve educationally? Why was the dance workshop ‘bookended’? (e.g. was this linked to the concept of delayed understanding)? When you say ‘it helped me a lot to understand how to design a workshop’ – how exactly did it help – please illustrate and give clear examples of your thinking here.