Sprint 3 update

Based on the previous barcamp programme, I had a new idea.
Firstly, in my concept, I wanted to keep the idea of a ‘seminar’ – without defining each participant. The initial idea was to refer to the Socratic Seminar, where an image of an artwork or installation or the text of an exhibition is posted online for the audience to discuss and rewrite, so that the text can be reinterpreted from a different perspective. However, due to various factors I was unable to realise the success of my project, for example: I only had 20 minutes to present in the final barcamp and 20 minutes was clearly not enough for the workshop, and although I intended to set up an online creative arts community on social media platforms and private websites, it was clear that I could not guarantee that the participants would still have a great deal of interest or time to participate after the workshop. As the literature – Chapter 4: How to Plan and Execute a Successful Camp in Boule, M. (2011) Mob rule learning camps, unconferences, and trashing Medford, N.J: CyberAge Books. that people usually exchange more creative and daring ideas in informal settings such as cocktail parties, and although they exchange business cards at the end of the party, they don’t connect afterwards.

So I wanted to make a real installation and have the audience experience it themselves rather than just show them pictures and videos, so that it would be more experiential and entertaining for the audience and thus put them in a relaxed state, which I believe would stimulate their creativity more, as the Socratic Seminar is relatively serious and may have a high threshold for participants. The workshop, on the other hand, takes place after the audience has participated, allowing the audience to think from me about what ideas they had during the experience of the installation, or whether they agreed or disagreed with the questions I provided, and on what basis?

While thinking about how to make the installation at the computer, I suddenly noticed my computer camera and couldn’t help but think, the computer is a tool for me to learn and live, but what am I to the computer? The computer is watching me every day, watching me learn and live, so what am I to the computer? What do I look like in the computer’s vision of me?

So I wanted to do a programming to encode and pixelate the footage recorded by the computer camera and use it to explore about what we look like in the eyes of the mechanical data.

The programme is as follows

0-10 (15) minutes: Participants can simulate working, drinking, taking selfies or shaking their bodies, etc. in front of the computer equipment and the camera will record their video patterns and create some pixelated or colour block patterns or videos which I will then transmit to the participants.

As this barcamp is intended for a large number of participants at that time, I think this recording process will be quick and effective and I will use two devices, one for recording and one for transmission, so that I can serve at least 10 people in 10-15 minutes.

For 10 (15) to 20 minutes, the participants discuss together their ideas about the installation. For example (there could be more).
Do you think a computer can tell the difference between a person’s happiness and sadness?
Do you think we might only be tools in the eyes of a computer?
Do you think that a computer looking at us every day would be a violation of our rights? Should it close its eyes at the right time?
What do you think the computer’s aesthetic view of people is?

Comments

s2414944 says:

This barcamp is really interesting and it gave me a new perspective to see the world. We, human beings, are used to seeing the world as dominators but actually we are still being watched. Everything is equal.

s2248556 says:

The author reflects on his constant research on ideas, which I think is great.
Time constraints, follow-up development, etc., the author thinks based on the literature he has read, and wants to use the device to achieve an interactive device that relaxes the audience and stimulates creativity. The author wants to use the computer to transform the “we” he sees into a coded form for display. I am honored that I have tried his interactive system, which is very good, and the author spent a lot of time making it. A simple device can extend a lot of reflection worth thinking about.