WORKING WITH THE FOUND OBJECT 

SECONDARY RESEARCH

PRIMARY RESEARCH

For me, working with the found object means reflecting on the object itself; materiality, use, symbolism, sound, perception, etc. In my research for this project, the main focus was to understand the object to work with it and transform it. As a part of my project, I wrote a small text to introduce the reader to my thoughts on cutlery, I listened to the sound of cutlery and worked directly with cutlery as a material. In my secondary research, I looked at other artists’ works that transform a found object/ a readymade into another figurative object. This research made me curious to work with cutlery in a non-figurative way. Changing the shape and conventional perception of the object, without changing it into another object’s shape. As a result of this, my final work ‘awakening’, a picture series of a sculpture made by cutlery seeks to position the cutlery outside its conventional framework and challenge the viewer’s understanding of it – changing the focus and bringing awareness to the materiality, sound, symbolism and cultural meaning of the object we use every day. Confronting the viewer with the conventional object – awakened.

FINISHED WORK

Fotoseries of sculpture: ‘awakening’, Nynne Elbro

_________________________________________________________________________

MAKING AND BREAKING NARRATIVE

SECONDARY RESEARCH

PRIMARY RESEARCH

My research for working with narratives starts with the history of cartography/ mapmaking; a practice where science and art meet, where power is often represented in a hidden but very visual way. My primary research consists of researching the problematics of cartography throughout history and looking at both old maps of any shape or form and contemporary works that in different ways present or represent maps. My final work ‘representing power’ challenges how a map can be both the truth and a subjective or colonial representation of the land, landscape, and hierarchy. First, the viewer is confronted with the idea of maps in a material value – a stereotypical idea of an ‘old’ map. By looking closer, one map shows the European countries, sizing based on the percentage of women in the parliament of every country, focussed also on lines of borders between countries, negative space, and coastlines. The other map is an outline of the world without borders – a non-separated world. Displaying two maps, curled up, laying down as if thrown away, discarded off is representing the need to change the tendencies within mapmaking – breaking the old narrative and leaving space for re-evaluation: presenting a narrative within the viewer, a room for consideration.

FINISHED WORK

Fotoseries of ‘Presenting power’,  Nynne Elbro

MAPPING THE SOUNDSCAPE 

SECONDARY RESEARCH

PRIMARY RESEARCH

(direct blog link: https://blogs.ed.ac.uk/s2302035_drawn-from-the-city-2021-2022sem2/2022/03/22/soundscaping/)

In my research and process for soundscapes, I quickly realized that I wanted to work with the visual representation of a soundscape and how soundscapes can be very subjective. First, I wanted to be aware of my soundscape; both reflecting on what sounds I hear and what sounds I listen to, and how sounds visually present themselves in my mind. By understanding this I wanted my project to focus on visually representing sounds recorded by others, working with the visual representation of others’ soundscape. Initially, I started by listening to the sounds that two of my friends recorded, trying to get the emotions of the sound onto paper in either figurative or color-based forms, using aquarelles. This process made me aware of the complexities within soundscape and how the soundscape especially the city consists of so many sounds that submerge with each other in every aspect. My final work, therefore, represents the soundscape of ‘the rhythmical noise of the city’, submerging all four sounds into one and representing them visually through a digital program. A representation of one sound – the sound of the city – chaotic and rhythmical at the same time. A video work that shapes sound and where colors define movement –  almost like the city itself.

FINISHED WORK

Video work ‘Soundplace’ by Nynne Elbro