week 4

This week’s blog contains two parts. One part is about what I learned about Tuesday’s seminar, and the other part is about my preparation work for my personal curatorial project this week.

First, part one. On Tuesday, I attended an Embassy artist-run gallery seminar where they shared their planned projects and related materials. The information that I found very useful was that they prepared a lot of materials about the planning stage, such as posters, artist introductions, CDS, tapes, maps, etc. This made me realize that when planning an exhibition, different materials should be prepared to introduce different contents of the exhibition to the audience. For example, to introduce the artist to the public, a booklet about the artist and the artist’s work can be developed in advance so that the audience can learn about the artist and the artwork.(Figure 1)

Figure 1 Embassy artist-run gallery displays material during Tuesday’s class

The second part is about the progress of my curated project.  First of all, the title of my exhibition is WHY. Through the artist’s works, the negative emotions of current women (18-25 years old) are displayed, stimulating the audience to think about why women in this age group have these different negative emotions and looking for the reasons behind their sadness. The exhibition form is mainly online, and the exhibition mode is White Cube. “Particular to the white cube is that it operates under the pretense that its seeming invisibility allows the artwork best to speak; it seems blank, innocent, unspecific, insignificant. Ultimately, what makes a white cube a white cube is that, in our experience of it, ideology and form meet, and all without our noticing it.”  (Filipovic,2005) Secondly, I invited five female artists to participate in my project and they were briefly interviewed by me. For example, the artist Zhang Jingshu’s dance works. Her work reflects the different eyes and disrespectful treatment she suffered as a woman in everyday life. (Video 1,The video has been licensed by the artist)

Video 1 Artist Zhang Jingshu’s dance works

Thanks so much for reading my blog this week.

Reference list

Filipovic, Elena. “The global white cube.” The manifesta decade: Debates on contemporary art exhibitions and biennials in post-Wall Europe (2005): 63-84.