week 2 blog

There are three things I want to write about in this blog post for week two. One is about my understanding of this week’s reading materials; the other is about my analysis of the cases in Seminar class this week and the exhibition forms I need to learn.

First, after looking at this week’s text. I realized that curators are the link between works of art, artists, Spaces, visual experiences, new media, the public and so on. Curators need to think about a lot more than just exhibits. As O’neill (2016) said, the perception of the curator has shifted from being a caregiver to a curator who plays a more creative and active role in the production of art itself. Therefore, it also affects my choice of exhibition theme, exhibits and exhibition story line. How to construct a complete exhibition story line is a matter worth thinking about.

In the second  part, I want to talk about the case studies discussed in Seminar this week. At the Seminar, Tianai Zhang and I, as members of Green Basho Group, were assigned the case study of Jupiter Artland. We analyzed the case from 11 perspectives, including Vision, Aim, Ethics, Vlaue, etc. (figure 1)

Figure 1 Analysis by Jupiter Artland in Miro

In the third part, through reading this week’s three articles, I realized the importance of public art exhibitions. Pay attention to the importance of public participation when planning projects. In art projects, we need to consider the public as part of the exhibition rather than as an outsider. This is because, Lacy (1996) points out that this element of audience participation in the origins of public art gives the work relevance within the community, not in the usual sense of public art that promotes the appreciation of art, but by providing this art with the potential to impact the lives of people inside and outside the community. Thus, the audience can be seen as part of the art. When the audience participates in the exhibition and interacts with the art, the audience will bring meaning and value beyond itself to the artwork to some extent. Reading Lacy’s text also made me realize the importance of the audience in any art project.

That’s all my blogs for this week, thanks for reading.

References

Lacy, S. (1996). Mapping the terrain : new genre public art. Seattle, Wash: Bay Press.

O’neill, P. (2016). The culture of curating and the curating of culture(s). Cambridge, Massachusetts London, England The Mit Press.