Project 2: Developing the concept

After researched how other artists work with narratives and think about the ideas emerged after this, I decided to work with the following concept:

• How Chile is represented from abroad and how Chile presents itself to abroad.
I decided to work with this concept because is more specific and I have much information and background related to it compared to others ideas that emerged previously.
The concept emerged because in my time in Edinburgh I have been talking with different people from a range of ages and nationalities and I have noticed that Chile is imagined, for example, as a very warm place with sun during all the year and most people seem surprised to realised that the climate in southern Chile is very similar to that of Scotland. Also, a few people knows about other characteristics as the food,  language or the important political process as the writing of a new constitution after one of the largest protests in Latin America in the last years.
In addition, the UK government site has a section called Foreign travel advice where they provide information of different countries, Chile among them:
In this website I noticed that there is many information that is quite exaggerated. One example of this is when they talked about terrorism:
Image source: UK Government website

With this in mind I am thinking about doing an audiovisual piece that looks like a promotional video about Chile and its characteristics using the text on this website as a script with some texts additions based on what people had told me about what they know about Chile. The short film will have an voice-over edited with images from Chile that sometimes will be in accordance with what is said and sometimes totally contrary to it. This aims not only to question but also to broaden the narratives about Chile on this side of the world.

With this in mind I am thinking about doing an audiovisual piece that looks like a promotional video about Chile, such as the one presented below:

Audiovisual Treatment

The script will be made based on texts extracted from the Foreign advice website, the promotional video shown above, what the people had told me about Chile and what I know about my country.

The short film will have an voice-over edited with images that sometimes will be in accordance with what is said and sometimes totally contrary to it. The video will considere te following footage:

– Images produced by myself in previous occasions in Chile (protests, journeys, assemblies, family)

– Footage from chilean television

– Footage from foreign television

All the mentioned above aims not only to question but also to broaden the narratives about Chile on this side of the world.

One Reply to “Project 2: Developing the concept”