image_pdfimage_print

My visit at the National Portrait Gallery was a wonderful experience, that provided me with great insight into the world of lighting . The various rooms in the gallery showcase a mixture of lighting methods, as some displays of art are artificially lit, some are benefiting from natural daylight and perhaps sunlight, although I did not get lucky in terms of the weather, whilst other rooms are both artificially and naturally lit. I found it really interesting how certain ceilings were open, with a glass square in the middle that could be left open or covered. I went on a gloomy day, thus the covers were shut, as the light outside was too harsh. I can imagine that on a sunny day, the ceiling is open and there is barely any need for artificial light. I find it that if we were to consider each painting individually, sunlight creates the most beautiful effect, as for example in oil paintings, all the brush strokes and small details are on full display and more visible than ever. Unfortunately, sunlight or daylight in general are hard to manage and control, as the light is constantly moving throughout the day. Thus, I believe artificial light can be the optimal solution in order to give equal attention to all artworks. 

In the first drawn room, the artificial light is white and harsh and it does not create a warm, cosy environment that would be needed for a library. However, the other drawn room is lit by hanging lanterns, that with the help of red glass, diffuse the light in such a way that it gives a warm effect. The floors and walls have an important role in creating the overall feel of the space in terms of light, as, the dark wooden floors and the dark walls in the library create a colder feel, whilst the light stone floors and the red brick walls in the main hall create a warmer palette overall

The National Portrait Gallery is a space where an array of different luminaires are used in a very enchanting and effective way, as, when it comes to the main hall as you first walk into the building, you are left in awe.

Sources: photos- from site visit at National Portrait Gallery- taken by me (Daria).