Some background:

I came to Edinburgh with a new and unknown perspective because of my cultural background, where everything was relatively new and unfamiliar to me, and my focus was on the relationship between people and society and people. I wanted to discover a new self and society from a socially observant perspective. To observe society through photography and in the process to find my own exploration.

When I walk through the streets of Scotland, when I see Chinese faces or Asian faces, people who look like me but I’m not sure where they’re from, when we pass each other, we all speculate or look at each other.
But I only feel this way in the UK, or when I leave the land I live in. In China I don’t think about my identity when I pass someone, but when I’m in a different environment, I’m confronted with someone who looks like me with yellow skin and black hair and I wonder, is he Chinese? Or is he Korean or Japanese. When I pass someone of Asian origin, their cultural background may be completely different from mine, they may be fluent in English, they may have never even been to China, and they may have very little knowledge of Chinese culture. But when I am confronted with him I have a sense of identity or empathy for him.
I wanted to start a discussion with the place, the relationship, as an ‘intruder’.