Natural light (daylight and sunlight)

When I visited this building, I found that the building has a large number of beautiful windows, but due to the orientation, the shape and size of the windows, there are many places in the room without sufficient daylight, and some parts of the building face the reflection of sunlight too strongly, which will cause discomfort to the eyes.

The windows

Illumination measurement for stair spaces

The use of daylight and sunlight in different spaces

After I visited several exhibition areas, I discovered that not every showroom has daylight or sunlight. At the entrance of the exhibition hall on the ground floor, all the windows are covered to block sunlight and daylight. The exhibition hall on the first floor also partially covers the windows but still allows daylight to enter without direct sunlight. Most of the places that let in direct sunlight are inside the stairs area.

The showroom on the top floor makes full use of the skylight to bring natural light into the interior, and there is a white cubic screen in the middle of the skylight. I guess the function of this barrier is to prevent sunlight from directly entering the exhibition hall and damaging the works in the exhibition hall, and at the same time, it can soften the incoming light. I noticed that each small window on the skylight had individual curtains to control the amount of sunlight and daylight coming in. This flexible use of natural light is worth learning.

The picture below is my measurement of the illuminance inside this showroom. They are for skylights, floors, walls and paintings.

Here is a sketch of my understanding of the light layout in this space.

Sketch of the section

Wall sconce

Wall sconces of different cool and warm temperatures are used in different positions in the building, and most of the Wall sconces are designed on the walls of passages and corridors. I am very impressed with the light in the middle of the picture below. Unlike ordinary wall lights, it illuminates both up and down at the same time, with cooler lights above and warmer lights below. It inspired me that the same light tool can illuminate both cold and warm light at the same time.

Lights on the floor

In the first picture below, there are many track lights designed around the railings on the first floor to supplement artificial lighting on the ground floor. When using elevators in buildings, I found the lights on the ground and the glass around the elevators create a very interesting visual effect.

A video of the experience in the lift.

lights on the ceiling

Many indirect chandeliers and ceiling lamps are used in corridors and halls. They all have light shades that soften the light and give the historic building a more age-like feel.

Track mounted lights

This type of light is widely used to illuminate exhibits and places that require special lighting.

This is a different way of lighting the sculptures on display in the building. I tried to draw their light sketches and analyzed the ratio of natural and artificial lighting.

This a special exhibit, which has lights on the back of it. The light in the back also brightens the shape of the arch. Since whole the wall are quite dark, the arch and the exhibition poop out because of the light behind.

A lot of lights are used to illuminate the exhibits, and there are also a lot of lights to illuminate the details of the building, such as the arches and paintings on the walls so that people can also appreciate the beauty of the building.

This is the small light that I observed in the display window, they can be well hidden in the frame due to their small size, adding brightness to the exhibits in the window. When viewing these exhibits, I noticed that the viewing experience is affected by the appearance of brighter objects in the glass due to the reflection of light.

This is the trial of ‘Fusion Optix ‘for luminance contrast values in the first-floor exhibition area. And I measured the illuminance on the wall and also the floor.

conclusion

The buildings I visited are ancient buildings, and most of the interior materials are wood and warm-coloured bricks, so most of the light sources in this pavilion are warm light sources. Most artworks have artificial lighting to supplement the brightness. In order to better protect the works in the pavilion, many windows are covered to block sunlight and sunlight. I think this is also done to allow the works to present a better colour and appreciation experience indoors.