Summative Submission

Project 1 – Working with the Found Object 

Primary Research 

I began my experiments with my found object being contact lens cases. Using these I experimented with creating surrealist objects, constructing a contact lens cheese grater which ended up looking unusually sci-fi.

Secondary Research 

‘Da Vinci to Disposable’ – Diagram demonstrates how water can be used to refract light to correct people’s vision.

Haruka Kojin’s ‘Contact Lens’ – Kojin uses circular lenses in order to also refract light in order to create art. The lenses warp whatever is being passed through them, meaning this installation remains everchanging.

Eamonn Jackson’s ‘Fisheye Selfie’ – Jackson uses a fisheye lens to distort his features. His nose being particularly enlarged gives him a fish-like look.

Portfolio

For my final photos, I used a strip of contact lenses as a prop alongside a kaleidoscope and fisheye lens which I attached to my camera. In the left image, I held the strip as if they were reading glasses. The use of the kaleidoscope lens added a lot of interest to the image as it distorted my features to resemble a three-headed monster. In the image on the right, I used the fisheye to enlarge the strip of contacts as if they were as tall as (or taller than) I.

Project 2 – Making and Breaking Narrative

Primary Research 

Overwhelmed by the possibilities that this project offered I turned to something meaningful to me – my childhood artwork. I thought I could turn my random, naive, childhood ideas into polished pieces of work. The right recreation was definitely more successful due to the subject matter being less recognizable. I also created a short animation of the center character.

Secondary Research 

I wanted to see if other artists had pursued the idea of recreation. I found these images from unknown artists on Pinterest:

I also wanted to look into artists which painted in a childlike, free-spirited way.

Joan Miró ‘The Hunter’ – The use of random shapes and primary colours gives a very organic feel to the artwork.

Carl-Henning Pedersen – A member of the group CoBrA, Pedersen paints in such a free-flowing careless way which I really enjoy.

CoBrA

‘The CoBrA group was a short-lived but highly influential artist collective formed in Paris. Named for the three northern European cities that its founders originated from – Copenhagen, Brussels and Amsterdam – its approximately thirty members became known for their vigorously spontaneous, rebellious style of painting that was heavily inspired by the art of children and the mentally ill’. – https://www.theartstory.org/movement/cobra-group/

Portfolio

For my final painting, I wanted to incorporate the shapes and colours from my initial childhood painting, whilst also adding technique and line represented in the work of Miró and Pedersen. I tried to loosen my grip on the brush and pen as I feel like in my primary research my paintings lacked the carlessness which children’s paintings possesses.

Project 3 – Mapping the Soundscape 

Primary Research

After searching through the audios that other people had submitted, I randomly selected three of my favourites (below). I produced sketches in response to the sounds heard in the videos.

Secondary Research 

Wassily Kandinsky – The Painter of Music

Can Music inspire your art? – article

https://realismtoday.com/art-inspiration-can-music-inspire-your-paintings/

Portfolio 

Heavily inspired by Kandinsky, I produced this piece in response to the sounds previously used but in a style resembling his. The shapes created are still relatively similar to the initial sketches, but there is much more fluidity and spontaneity. This piece should be listened to alongside the audio.