‘Fish with Ice at Supermarket’

Photos taken during my visit to GIANT – a supermarket that specially sells a variety of fish not common in other markets –

This series of photos presented two perspectives that were vastly different – them being mere photos of the fish supply displayed in the supermarket (a statement of reality), but also stills of the dead fish displayed with the intention to be commercialised based on the freshness in death as well as the explicit value of their lives as stated on the price tags.

A collage I made where I only visualised a space with only the colours of their bright fins

‘Luminous’ series of photos

I was fascinated with how they (this specific species of fish, the milkfish) shine, almost with life, even in death, since death is associated with dullness, and life with light.

Sticking a zip lock bag onto my sketchbook was a neat way of keeping my loose photos while also representing my ideas visually – the notion of containment after death.

Studying my selection of photos, I discovered I was attracted to certain features:

1.Eyes of the fish (an element that is not as lifeless as the fish should be)

2.Luminous fish scales

3.Fish body details such as colour, texture, shape, that is aligned with the imagery commonly associated with a fish when one thinks of a fish – the Collective visual idea of the fish

I concluded the point of intrigue – Aspects of the fish that represented liveliness even in death.