Documenting the noise of crows in urban Edinburgh

Following from the previous mock-up triptych depicting simply the word ‘CAW’ on three different coloured backgrounds, I decided to use further visual elements to document the calling of crows.

Inspired by the arrangement of elements in the collage work of Kurt Schwitters, I wanted to document the overarching sound of the crows which are present in my area, and which I see often

Kurt Schwitters: ‘Magic’, printed papers on paper, 131 × 106 mm, (c.1936-40)

Initially, I created a physical collage using found paper pieces, blank polaroids, leaves and tape, arranged on a plain sheet of craft card:

Edward Cawood: untitled, polaroid, paper and leaf on card, 145mm x 180mm, (2020)

Although this collage used elements which I found successful, I find it too messy, and the varying textures are not as coherent together as I had imagined. In response, I decided to create a further collage, using very similar elements but using photoshop to get the desired neatness:

Edward Cawood: ‘CaW’ – mixed media digital collage, (2020)

CaW features a scanned leaf, a blank (black) polaroid, semi-transparent white strips and strips from a black and white photograph of a building on the street from my window. Over these elements the word CaW is spelt out using the same cut out letters from the central frame from the previous mock-up triptych. These pieces are arranged on a scan of craft card.

I wanted to include the image of my street in Edinburgh as this is one of the places which I regularly hear crows.

Using photoshop allowed me to achieve the clean look I was looking for, and allowed for greater manipulation of the elements without permanently damaging them. However, it does lack the textural element found in the physical collage.