Collier’s article debates the effectiveness of ‘syndicates’, (small semi-independent student groups), in advancing cognitive skills in higher education. The review of evidence and literature in most cases point to the positive rewards of working within a team and peer group influence.

Overall, I found the benefits of engagement through interaction stood out to me the most. The article suggests student-led discussion provides a more open and relaxed environment to speak out and the syndicates are shown to shift in a variety of roles, (leadership/cooperation), and gain a better understanding of new concepts by finding alternate ways to express and explain, ultimately giving a more mature understanding and higher personal relevance to the material.

Relating this to our own research placement I can already see how a small, engaged group can flourish. We are from different but complimenting backgrounds in the Humanities, (History, Anthropology and Art), which I feel strengthens our discussions and potential collaborative projects due to the ability to ‘bounce’ off and build upon each other’s ideas and discoveries.

I found this the case in our first session together last week where we discussed potential end results for the brief and I came away with fresh ideas I had not previously considered, as well as a more reinvigorated approach to the project.

Collier, K. G. (1980). Peer-Group Learning in Higher Education: The Development of Higher Order Skills.