Press "Enter" to skip to content

Climbing to see home

This is a habit I started at the beginning of lockdown and continued when I had the time to do it. I enjoyed walking up into the hills and woods at the top of the town and climbing high up into them, to the tallest one and gazing out at the landscape around me. On a clear day I could see from the Bass Rock to Goat fell, and would look out to my home town in the distance. While not a great distance away, the remote location and poor transport made it usually difficult to see family and friends and with the pandemic there was nothing I could do, but it gave me comfort to see my home town, and to not feel restricted by the lockdown while I explored the hills. It was an escape and a comfort.

This piece is also the only one without sketchy lines and a dark grainy effect over it, as it is a fonder and warmer memory of my time here and, while still filled with sadness, I was at least able to go out, explore and look to home for comfort and as an aspiration to work hard towards earning enough to move back.