Press "Enter" to skip to content

It’s nice to meet you

Hi there! I am Emiley, a first year archaeology student. I definitely favour painting as my medium of choice, however I would like to use this course as an opportunity to expand and experiment with new or different materials and mediums and to get out of my comfort zone.

I am a big fan of artists such as Raqib Shaw and Jenny Saville, who both create enchanting paintings but are perhaps at opposite ends of the scale when it comes to aesthetics. I am also very interested in the works of Nils-Udo and Edith Meusnier, who each create non-conventional sculptures with the intention of having them react to the environment they are placed in.

I moved around a year ago to a town called Fauldhouse with my partner and unfortunately most of my time here has been spent living with the restrictions of the coronavirus pandemic. This hasn’t given me the best opportunity to get to know this new place (especially when we were once only allowed out for an hour a day!), so I would like to explore and reflect on my life here so far.

Living in a small town surrounded by quite a lot of woodland and conservation areas, the idea of creating art with the intention of interacting with the environment is exciting and certainly one I would like to explore. By the end of the ‘Drawn from the City’ course I would like to have gained experience and confidence in working with materials and mediums I would not have normally considered, and to gain a new perspective of where I live.