I booked E.08 from 2-8pm last Friday.

First I located all my work and materials I left at ECA in March. I have 2 large canvas (~2m) that I rephotographed in the sculpture court. I think they’re done, but the uni closed while ‘I was still working on one of them.

Then I played with some small in-progress works I had in storage: adding drips, and more stains to them with gouache.

I also painted on some bare boards that I had primed last year.

After walking through ECA, I’m struck by how Much signage is everywhere and how much of it advertises things that don’t work: ‘NO EXIT’, or sounds oddly aggressive ‘PLEASE KEEP YOUR DISTANCE’.  I started some sketched using these words.

(Digital)

Complaints: First, many other unis in Scotland are giving students dedicated desk/studio space.Why is ECA NOT doing this?

• Other thoughts: There were no easels in the studio at all. Or any information telling me how to get one. Also the studio was shared with other students, which I didn’t realise was happening. Could this be better explained on the website? Also My booking ended at 8pm and the security were closing the building at the same time, so while I was running behind putting everything in my locker, they were awkwardly waiting for me to leave. This was just really awkward. Maybe all the bookings should end at 7:45?

Also I drew this neon sign that I’ve been imagining for a while. (Procreate)

Next I need to figure out how to make it an animation, flashing on and off.