One Reply to “TAGS data visualisation”

1. Another highly engaging and effective post here, Lidia. It’s really good to hear you talking through your ideas and showing corresponding content on the screen. It’s really clear from the confident and relaxed tone of your delivery that you are comfortable with the ideas that are being explored here.

I particularly liked the point you make about the way that different conversations were taking place in parallel in Twitter, despite the fact that students were in a shared space. Perhaps this is one of the benefits of using this kind of digital-visual approach to gathering and representing data: I’m not sure whether the same idea would come across through other approaches so well.

And I’m glad too that you picked up on Rebecca Eynon’s point about needing to be careful what we read into the data and recognising how these kinds of digital approaches to data generation might foreground some themes but exclude others.

It’s interesting that you describe Twitter as a place for showing and, let’s be honest, it is. I certainly use it as a valuable place for being exposed to ideas and different perspectives and voices, but at the same time I’m very conscious of how I project myself through tweets and retweets . So yes, there’s a need to reflect on the medium when discussing the type of data that is being generated.

A final point: you talk about research participants or learners knowing how data is being used. This certainly applies to Twitter but extends to other technologies and media as well. If we take photographs for instance, I don’t expect that when someone sends a digital photograph they are aware that the camera, timing and other metadata can be obtained by with a right click on the mouse and so on. Perhaps there’s a responsibility for the researcher her to be acknowledging how digital data can offer insights into the participant that they might have no knowledge that they are sharing?