Living Room – Minecraft

One Reply to “Living Room – Minecraft”

1. Fascinating reflections here, Lidia, and great that you were able to tie this to one of this one’s weeks readings. And of course a richly multimodal approach, with language, voice and image all helping to convey your ideas and experiences.

I’m really glad that your time in Minecraft seems to have been a productive experience, in the way that it has helped to show some of the educational potentialities of this space. Something that resonated with me is that way that, even though we know it is a kind of game, we can still experience feelings of uncertainty, claustrophobia and so on. I have the same feeling when I inadvertently end up underwater in Minecraft. The fact that we can still experience these emotions in a screen-mediated environment is fascinating, isn’t it?

It was interesting also to hear about the way that, as a child, you found the home to be a more productive space than the classroom. There’s something in here, perhaps, about democracy and having the freedom to choose or create spaces conducive to learning, rather than those imposed by the teacher or education? This interests me from a research perspective because I think that digital technologies can reinforce some of these hierarchies and power relations (the institutional LMS, the digital amplification of the lecturer’s voice to every corner of the auditorium), but it can also disrupt them (for instance as mobile devices allow students to establish impromptu learning spaces beyond the classroom and campus).

By the way, you might be unaware of this but at 6:46 in your recording I was struck by the sound of ringing bells, and was immediately transported to a different part of the world. Which in turn makes me think that in this block perhaps we have under-considered the importance of sound, whether in physical or networked learning space?

Great work here, Lidia.