Study plan 1

Study Plan, Ana Yarza S1561842

This academic course I intend to research private and public space and the differences between the two. In the current situation,the meaning of public and private space has radically changed for society. We all have experienced a deeper appreciation of both environments, as we have been forced to stay confined in a domestic realm, we have had to think about ways to maximize the space we own.

This confinement have made us realise of how valuable public space is. Similarly, the rules by which we now navigate through public space are completely different.

Through everyday life, I will gather concepts and elements that I find interesting from these spaces. From an intuitive way of working I will transform these element and concepts into sculptures.

Because this year it is uncertain which resources I will have available, my work can flexibly move from street interventions, outside sculpture and indoor sculpture.

My first idea to experiment with private and public space, is to create outside furniture as well as elements that you find outside to be presented in an indoor context. Also looking at the transitions between spaces such as windows, curtains and the filling materials between walls. The materials used will be selected to contrast the space it is presented in. For example, using metal to build outside furniture and wood to build outside elements that will be shown indoors. The material choice will be reviewed as, using materials in accordance to the space may not show the contrast between private and public space I am seeking.

The materials I want to use for this projects are glass, wood and metal to start with. I am fairly acquaintanced with these materials, but for furniture making I would have to allow some extra time as it is a complicated subject. Printing will be used as a visual research for the sculpture-making process.

On the other hand, I wish to research some casting materials such as cardboard and mycelium foam. Initially, I plan to cast geometric shapes such as cylinders, bricks and tiles. This elements can be arranged to create an installation, referencing elements of buildings.

My inspirations for this project will be architectural magazines that show a number of different examples of space, indoor and outdoor elements. Landscape researches that show the ways public space is used. Artists like Celine Condorelli, who researches furniture and the use of the spaces in her work; Phyllida Barlow and her raw approach to materials and Claire Barclay intuitive way of working.

Canadian Centre for Architecture research on street interventions made by architects will be another source of inspiration for my project.

To document my thinking, I will upload my work and my inspirations to my blog. Although I prefer to use sketchbooks to document my work, I find inefficient having to transfer everything from the sketchbook to the blog, especially because I may lose access to scanners during some points of the academic course.