Any views expressed within media held on this service are those of the contributors, should not be taken as approved or endorsed by the University, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the University in respect of any particular issue.

Pathways to Academic Independence: Funding Landscape Module – Navigating Complexities in Funding

In this post Al Innes and Dr Charlotte Brady, of the Strategic Research Development Team, discuss the Pathways to Academic Independence training course, highlighting the Funding Landscape and Funders module, and give you an overview of what to expect in the module. 

Pathways to Academic Independence 

Funded Research: Pathways to Academic Independence is a new training course aimed at equipping researchers with the knowledge, skills and behaviours required to secure their first fellowship or research grant, or improve the quality of future applications for existing first-time grant holders. 

In our last blog post we went into detail on the first two course modules, focused on Planning for Success, giving an idea of what to expect. You can read that post here: 

Funding Landscape Module: Navigating Complexities in Funding 

For successful funding applications, it’s important to familiarise yourself with the funders that align with your discipline. Explore their strategic plans, understand the nuances of directive and responsive calls, and consider how your research fits within their funding priorities. This methodical approach increases your chances of securing funding that complements your research goals. 

With this third module, it was our intention to introduce this landscape, give you an idea of where to get started with this familiarisation process and link into the preceding modules. This module will shed light on the mechanics of research funding – understanding how research receives financial support is crucial for sustaining your work. 

The journey of an academic is marked by growth, and so too is the complexity of your funded research portfolio. As you advance in your career, the significance of understanding funding distinctions intensifies. Striving for a sustainable funding portfolio becomes imperative for schools and centres within academic institutions. 

UKRI funding stands as a strategic cornerstone for UK universities, primarily due to its comprehensive consideration of the Full Economic Costs (fEC) associated with research projects. This holistic approach encompasses all research-related expenses, ensuring a more accurate representation of the funding required. However, it’s essential to recognize that while UKRI grants take into account the fEC, they typically cover only 80% of these costs. Universities are expected to bridge the gap by providing the remaining 20%. It’s important to note that this won’t affect your salary, though securing research funding can enhance your prospects for career advancement. 

While funding models may seem intricate, they play a pivotal role in shaping your research trajectory. The nuances between funders can influence your ability to cover essential expenses, impacting the feasibility of your research projects.  

Where can I sign-up for the course? 

The Funded Research: Pathways to Academic Independence course can be accessed via the Learning Catalogue on People and Money. Either search for “Funded Research” in the Catalogue, or go straight to the course on P&M via



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Report this page

To report inappropriate content on this page, please use the form below. Upon receiving your report, we will be in touch as per the Take Down Policy of the service.

Please note that personal data collected through this form is used and stored for the purposes of processing this report and communication with you.

If you are unable to report a concern about content via this form please contact the Service Owner.

Please enter an email address you wish to be contacted on. Please describe the unacceptable content in sufficient detail to allow us to locate it, and why you consider it to be unacceptable.
By submitting this report, you accept that it is accurate and that fraudulent or nuisance complaints may result in action by the University.