Hi, my name is Nathan Constantine-Cooke, and I am a biomedical data science PhD student researching IBD at the University of Edinburgh.

Picture of my face.

After completing my mathematics undergraduate degree from Aberystwyth university, where I primarily focused on statistics and pure mathematics, I studied an MSc in Statistics for Computational Biology at the same institution. My professional interest, analysing high-dimensional biological data, has aligned with my personal interest in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) in my PhD research.

I am part of the Vallejos group led by my supervisor Dr Catalina Vallejos. I am involved in the PREdiCCt Study, led by my second supervisor, Dr Charlie Lees, and I am producing statistical models which attempt to predict when an IBD patient will have a disease flare-up by considering diet/ lifestyle data alongside whole-genome and metabolomic sequencing data. I am a student on the Precision Medicine doctoral training programme: gratefully funded by the Medical Research Council and the University of Edinburgh.

It is my hope this blog will be read both by specialists in the field of IBD as well as people who would like to join PREdiCCt/ are already a part of PREdiCCt. This blog should showcase some of the research being produced as a result of people’s involvement in PREdiCCt.

My personal interests include exercising in the gym,  reading dystopian novels and creating 3D art such as this render based on the seafront at Aberystwyth.

CGI artwork of Aberystwyth Promenade
Copyright © 2018 Nathan Constantine-Cooke.