Postgraduate Life

Postgraduate Life

News and views from the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine's postgraduate community

A glimpse into my global health research journey at the University of Edinburgh

Dominic Arthur

Hello, I’m Dominic Arthur, and my academic journey led me to the heart of Scotland where I obtained an undergraduate degree in Biological Sciences (Immunology) at the University of Edinburgh. Despite my initial inclination towards engineering due to a love for physics and mathematics in high school, the allure of the intricate workings of the immune system redirected my path.

The Covid-19 pivot: a shift towards infectious diseases

It was fascinating learning about how our immune system employ sophisticated suite of mechanisms to protect us from all sorts of diseases including autoimmune disorders. As the Covid-19 pandemic swept across the globe during my third year, its impact resonated deeply. The global ‘climate’ influenced my academic interests, steering me towards the captivating realm of infectious disease research.

Rotational explorations: Wellcome Trust’s One Health Models of Disease PhD programme

Towards the end of my third year, I stumbled upon the Wellcome Trust One Health Models of Disease PhD programme. Its unique structure, involving two rotational projects before committing to the main PhD project, caught my attention. I applied when the application opened at the beginning of fourth year. Thankfully, I was successful at the interview and got enrolled to commence on the programme few months after graduation in 2022.

Rotation 1: Legionella genomics

Under the guidance of Professor Ross Fitzgerald in the first rotation, I delved into the curated genomes of Legionella, a group (genus) of fresh-water bacteria that normally parasitise single-celled organisms (protozoa). Legionella bacteria can also infect humans and may lead to a severe form of pneumonia called Legionnaire’s disease.

Specifically, we aimed to determine the distribution of effectors (proteins that allow the bacteria to infect its hosts) within the clinically significant L. pneumophila subgroup. This exploration sought to unravel why certain strains within this subgroup are more commonly associated with clinical samples.

Rotation 2: Discovery of network science

In my second rotation, under Professor Rowland Kao’s supervision, I applied network analysis to cattle movement data from Lincolnshire, a county in East England. The objective was to understand the factors influencing bovine tuberculosis (bTB) outbreaks in an area that, until recently, experienced few cases.

Bovine tuberculosis continues to pose significant economic and public health concerns in Great Britain. Despite the implementation of control programs, the geographical distribution of bTB continues to expand. By shedding light on the patterns of cattle movements and their impact on bTB outbreaks, the research provides valuable insights for informing targeted disease prevention measures.

From alien networks to core focus: choosing the main PhD project

Initially finding the field of networks somewhat alien, the second rotation proved transformative. Consequently, I chose to delve deeper into infectious disease transmission networks for my main PhD project under Professor Kao’s guidance.

My research in a nutshell

In the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic, understanding disease transmission became paramount. My research focuses on utilising genomic data, combined with epidemiologic and socioeconomic data, to reconstruct disease transmission network, and investigate the drivers of Molecular Transmission Clusters (MTCs) in Scotland.

Allow me to elaborate

We all witnessed how Covid-19 quickly spread across international borders. This was primary mediated by international travel. Within national borders, evidence suggests that only a fraction of disease introductions led to sustained community transmissions and that majority of the people that got infected don’t pass on the disease.

A crucial mechanism that enables certain lineages to course outbreaks is that the person initially infected infects many people within a short span of time, a phenomenon termed superspreading event (SSE). This mode of spreading is influenced by several factors including, heterogeneity in infectiousness, susceptibility, and population contact patterns and infectivity of the pathogen.

Contact patterns is especially critical, for instance super spreaders (likely asymptomatic) encounters many people, mostly during social gatherings in an environment that enable them to infect other people. Importantly, SSEs was prevalent during the Covid-19 pandemic, often unnoticed due to inefficiency of contact tracing among other factors. In addition, the pandemic had disproportionate impact on people from areas with poor socioeconomic status.

Previous research has shown that signatures of SSEs can be detected in pathogen genomic data. Sequences isolated from individuals involved in a SSE and onward transmissions form clusters of identical/closely related sequences, termed Molecular Transmission Clusters (MTCs). The aim of my project is to utilise genomic data from Scotland together with epidemiologic and socioeconomic data at a high geographical resolution to investigate the drivers of the formation of MTCs.

As of now, I’ve applied a network-based model to detect MTCs. Looking ahead to 2024, my plan involves analysing these clusters to answer vital questions:

• Do SSEs amplify specific lineages, driving the emergence of variants of concern?
  • Where do SSEs typically occur, and are they associated with specific demographic and socioeconomic groups?
  • What are the policy implications for controlling future outbreaks?

Embracing challenges: a dynamic PhD journey

Transitioning from immunology with a wet lab focus to bioinformatics and network science has posed challenges. Yet, the journey has been exciting, with each obstacle met by a newfound skill and the unwavering support of my supervisors, colleagues, the Wellcome Trust, and the One Health Programme.

Future paths: open-ended opportunities in public health

Upon completion, I don’t have specific plans, but I remain open to opportunities that allow me to apply and advance my skills. Ultimately, my long-term goal is to secure a position in public health, preferably in my home countries The Gambia or Ghana. The prospect of contributing to public health, aligning with my commitment to making a meaningful impact, propels me forward into the open-ended future beyond my PhD.

1 reply to “A glimpse into my global health research journey at the University of Edinburgh”

1. William Danso says:

You will surely rich to your ability.