The New College Magazine full of news to keep you up-to-date. Catch up on alumni, staff and students' achievements. Enjoy interviews and articles

Changing the Prison Service

Changing the Prison Service

Our students go on to many different careers. We spoke to Sophie (MA Hons, Theology) about her path from New College to the prison service.

“My faith was a big factor in studying theology. As a Christian I wanted to study my faith in a context where I’d be challenged by people who thought differently from me.

“I’d never visited Edinburgh before, but as soon as I came here I was sold. When I visited New College it was so friendly. There was a community feel that I hadn’t experienced when visiting other universities.

“I loved the choice to decide what you want your degree to look like. Alongside theology I took outside courses in Mandarin and Criminal Justice. Working in small groups with students from different backgrounds helped me interact with people, and stretched my thinking. The staff were so personable as well.

“In my workplace I need to find points of connection. Relating to people from different backgrounds and creating space for their ideas, and being able to pull out the gold in other people, are all things I developed at New College. I did a year abroad in Sydney, Australia, which was great.

“I’m on a two-year graduate programme called Unlocked Graduates for people who are interested in changing the prison system for the better. I work full-time as a prison officer in a men’s prison in London, and I’m also studying for a Masters in Applied Custodial Leadership.

“At New College, I was inspired by a friend who worked with offenders as they left prison. I wrote my dissertation on John’s Gospel and rehabilitation in English prisons. After university I took a year out to work in another job, and one of my friends started in a graduate scheme working a women’s prison. I then applied, and loved the assessment process.

“The job is hard. You see people at their lowest moments. But the small wins are really worth it. You see violence, but also acts of kindness. Showing care to vulnerable people is my faith in practice. A lot of men explore faith for the first time in prison. I can engage with them on that level as well. Next year I’ll be on placement with the Ministry of Justice. Long term, my goal is to make changes so that people have a different life when they leave prison.

“Theology opened so many doors for me. I don’t regret it for a second!”