Weeks 1-3: Blowing it all up and starting over

A Much Needed Break

American culture does not value balance and breaks once you’re in the workforce. It’s go, go, go and show up unless you’re bleeding from the eyes. Two weeks off a year is standard (3 max) if you get paid time off at all. Over break, I was reminded of why this is not only unhealthy and absurd but also unproductive. The break game me time reflect on the term, my reasons for doing the program and how I will make the most of it. I’ve been able to rule out some of the final project ideas I’d been considering and establish some criteria for what I focus on for the remainder of my studies, including the final project.

Guiding Ideas

• There are many interesting topics and useful skills; focus on what I care about most and where I can personally make a difference
  • Leverage existing knowledge/experience
  • Walk away with a clear tag line describing my knowledge

Remembering the Customer

Another observation I made was how easily I fell into old student habits of worrying too much about instructor expectations and grades. For me, there is absolutely no benefit to pleasing anyone or getting good grades as there will be no next step in my formal education. I’m focused on learning for the sake of self fulfillment and the ability to apply something new in my future jobs / societal roles. I’ve felt more freedom this term to abandon a few readings that I wasn’t getting anything from and pursue other material instead and am finding ways to participate in a way that respects my limits/priorities/obligations. This should not be confused with treating the program less seriously, I’m actually more serious about making sure I get specifically what I need vs. risking my goals for the sake of following a prescription.

5 replies to “Weeks 1-3: Blowing it all up and starting over”

1. Rhiannon Hanger says:

Hey Janel, I hope your break doesn’t feel like a distant memory yet! I like your reflection about focusing on the customer (you) and trying to be intentional about getting the most out of the course for yourself and not worrying about grades. It’s a good reminder that I too am doing this course for to try and make an impact in areas I care about and has helped with some thinking about my project direction so thank you 🙂
    Would love to hear what your shortlist of ideas are when you are sure of them!

1. Janel says:

Break is a totally distant memory – ha!! I’m actually on a reverse break now, studying in Edinburgh for 9 days (total concentration). It’s really amazing to block out everything else and to let myself go down some rabbit holes of thought/literature beyond what’s assigned. I’ll def include my current focus in my next post. I think in the end I’ll do something that may be more incremental than innovative, but that will be something I can relate to and speak to with confidence. I had originally considered some very creative ideas that were exciting and more edgy, but then I remembered that I’m not exciting and edgy. I’m a practical, get-stuff-done kind of woman. So be it!

2. Maryam Garba-Sani says:

Janel- this spoke to me and told me exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you so much for sharing and for the reminders. I always find your inputs so incredibly thought-provoking and refreshing, and its great to know that they come from an authentic place (not that I didn’t know that before)!

1. Janel says:

Maryam, cheers to meeting ourselves where we are and setting ourselves up for success where we’re headed.

3. Maryam Garba-Sani says:

PS. Enjoy your break!