WEEK 5-7 New Thought about final project

Last blog, I said I have different direction about my final project. Thanks for the suggestions from Hanyu and Theresa, which inspired me. And now I want to pay attention to the intinal topic that is about mental health of university students during the campus lockdown caused by Covid-19 in China.

Inspiration from the course

The Neuropolitics of Decision-Making

This course focuses particularly on how fake news affects how people make decisions. It got me thinking that false news does exist in some restricted areas of China and how it influences college students’ mindsets and decision-making when they encounter it.

Exclusion and inequality

I finished the final assessment, and its topic is about reinforced gender inequality in China

China. I have read many related literature, and I think gender is also another focus of my final project, just narrowing down to university students.

Related literatures

I found some literature about my topic, and the three articles below are very useful and let me learn more about this topic deeply.

1.“Resilience and Depressive Symptoms Mediated Pathways from Social Support to Suicidal Ideation Among Undergraduates During the COVID-19 Campus Lockdown in China.”

This article conducted questionnaire research and proved students do suffer from some mental illness and even want to suicide during the COVID-19 campus lockdown. And it shows that social support was identified as an intervention target to reduce suicidal ideation. So it reminds me that there should be some student mental health centres in the universities, maybe I can try to contact them.

2 “Enclave-Reinforced Inequality During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Evidence from University Campus Lockdowns in Wuhan, China.”

This article raises the issue of how campus closures can exacerbate enclave inequality, which inspire me that I could consider the size of campus area as a factor when talking about campus lockdown.

3 “Online Mental Health Survey in a Medical College in China During the COVID-19 Outbreak.”

This study implies that universities need to take measures to prevent, identify, and deal with mental health problems among students during large-scale stressors. And this confirms what I thought. The direction I would focus more on is the mental health support that the school provides to students.

What I should do next

• Contact if any schools would be willing to help me with this research, because it will considerably enhance the number of questionnaires I can collect, thus improving the research’s accuracy.

• Attempt to get more insights and thoughts from the course” learning and resilience” that is on this week.

• Continue to read related literature and research.

1 reply to “WEEK 5-7 New Thought about final project”

1. Juli Huang says:

It’s great you’re already identifying literature directly related to your project topic! Make sure you have a place to take good notes while reading and also to reflect on how the readings speak to one another. How do they help you think through your project’s analytical framework? How do they help you identify which methods are feasible to use?