Power’s Discontents – Week 4/5

Food delivery drivers lounging on electric scooters as they wait for food orders.

First off, I would like to extend my heartfelt gratitude for the great comments and questions I’ve been getting from classmates. These have given me much to think about, as did points made in our cohort meeting in week 3.

Some highlights from last week that I wanted to highlight because I found something especially sparking in them that’s stuck with me after some days lapsed:

Janel on measuring unemployment: “I’ve just been thinking about how measuring ‘jobs’ and ‘unemployment’ is constantly changing and difficult to make reasonable conclusions over time.” <- This is a valid point, and I don’t think necessarily limited to how we measure jobs and unemployment but how the nature of jobs and unemployment are transforming over time, whether it’s through technologies that make coordinating large amounts of gig work possible or our definitions (like recognition of “underemployment,” where a worker has a labor-wage job that doesn’t give them enough hours to meet all their monetary needs/wants, as a legitimate problem that “unemployment” fails to account for).

Darcie on my idea to study international migrants in southwestern China: “…can you explore a different country? Not sure if the same problems exist in other global regions but I think migration is happening all over the place.” <- This has stuck with me because I wonder if it’s possible. Part of what fascinates me about this group isn’t so much the group itself (which likely exists in other countries that border Myanmar), but the act of migration coming up against a system depending increasingly on all-consuming digital surveillance and which also “others” the migrants (for example, this week, I–a migrant in the same system but likely inhabiting a more privileged position–was temporarily locked out of both of my private Wechat and Alipay wallets, one because the system decided my paying my gas bill which I pay every month to a state-backed utility company was suspicious and the other simply because my Chinese green card which I use for ID places me in a “foreign” box in which all members, it seems, are assumed to be potential scammers in need of extra policing). What’s going on is that migrants are separated from citizens inside the national ID system that is used in identity verification. The Chinese government maintains a centralized database of Chinese IDs, but it’s basically outsourced verification of migrants/foreigners to private companies to deal with as they see fit. Furthermore, there are laws discouraging social media platforms from allowing accounts to exist anonymously, but the Chinese ID system has an API, so it’s easy to run verification checks against it. Usually, foreigners/migrants have to be verified by humans (as in a visual passport check) and a bank account name check (which obviously requires that one gets a bank account–not an easy thing to do in China unless you are employed by a company and have paperwork to back this up). Furthermore, there are so few foreigners in China (around 800K according to the 2020 Chinese census vs. 1.4B Chinese) that it doesn’t always make commercial sense for companies to go through the trouble of creating an in-house verification process for this group of people that is relatively expensive to verify. Thus you get a lot of platforms that don’t bother. This can have relatively minor effects (like a food order app that won’t give foreigners/migrants the same discounts that it will give Chinese people because its system won’t allow them to sign up to sign up for an internal eWallet, instead forcing them to use a 3rd party eWallet for which it doesn’t offer discounts) or it can have major possible problems like with this Yunnan health code that won’t allow foreign migrants under the age of 18 to be registered in the system which in turn affects whether or not they can gain access to things like hospitals or public transportation (many cities have policies in place for handling those without an electronic health code, but because these policies are actually executed on a hyper-local level by people who don’t have to have any training in such policies, foreign migrants are often just refused entry or service rather than being allowed to follow the rules that would apply to a Chinese citizen without a health code). It’s a headache in the urbanized, foreign-trade-heavy East where the foreign population is generally associated with foreign investment giving it some power to propel complaints through municipal governments. If you have a foreign migrant population without the “foreign investment” carrot, I don’t know how you get people to, say, allow you to enter a hospital without a health code. Most countries are not so reliant on eWallets and digitized health codes, but as things are pushed increasingly online, people without “correct” identification are in danger of getting marginalized (imagine if, say, a private hospital chain in the US decided it would use facial recognition to identify its customers, for example, so anyone not properly IDed would not be able to enter the hospital–it probably sounds ridiculous, but you do have buildings that bar the public to use toilets in large cities in the US, so I could see other forms of access restrictions implemented in a privatization push).

And Kate had good thoughts on trying to whittle topics down.

I listened to some things

In week 4, I went to several lectures. Highlights included one, which I think was backed by AI Ethics & Society at EFI was a talk by Dr. Milagros Miceli. She studies the impact these new AI technologies have on data workers and the roles data workers play to prop up these AI platforms. This was fascinating and terrifying, and she made a point that I’ve been mulling over for a while, that the powers running the platforms are perhaps understudied. Also that there is a disconnect between these people (think the people building the platforms/tools, the people with the jobs in need of dataworkers to power them) and this dataworking underclass that is trying to function within a very fixed framework (dataworkers don’t have the ability to dispute decisions made by the algorithms that accept/reject their work for example). It was absolutely fascinating and if you ever get the chance to see her speak, I highly recommend it. This paper she wrote was highly recommended by several audience members, but I haven’t had the chance to go through it yet. And then she also recommended this book by Mary Gray and Siddarth Suri: Ghost Work: How to Stop Silicon Valley from Building a New Global Underclass, which I’ve only just cracked open.

Then I mentioned The Algorithmic Imprint in my last blog. I had the chance to log on to a Q&A with one of the authors hosted by some grad students at Oxford, and he fleshed out his thoughts some more and also some background about how the study came about. Basically, the concept is when an algorithm (in this case, it was a grading algorithm for the British GCSE A-level exams because, during the pandemic, the exams were canceled, so the testing companies were trying to figure out a “fair” way of judging students without a big test) was implemented, it forced a change in the data collection system such that when people complained and the algorithm was removed, the system still ended up classifying people based on the data collected for the algorithm (the paper discusses this in-depth, but basically, Bangladesh’s students had a history of cramming for these tests in the last few months because the tests counted in ways that classes didn’t, so the students’ previous work in classes didn’t necessarily reflect how they would perform on the actual A-levels–the data collected for the algorithm didn’t take any of this into account which led to some wild ways of creating the data the testing companies were looking for). So it’s not enough to just remove an unfair algorithm if you don’t also deal with other parts of the system you have adjusted to accommodate the algorithm. Another thing that came out in the talk that I don’t think was included in the paper was that in the years following the rollout and revocation of the algorithm, even though the data collection never reverted back, people seemed to have accommodated and the low scores during the algorithm drama year improved back to levels similar to those before the algorithm was introduced. As Malcolm in Jurassic Park says, “Life finds a way.” Only in this case, replace life with Bangladeshi students. (for those that remember my cheerleading of the toilet article, this would count as another example in my book of people ultimately finding to adapt a system that was built in such a way that it overlooks them).

The final lecture that stuck out to me was one on racial justice and global public health by Dr. Ugo Edu hosted by the University of Washington Anthropology department. She struck on some things that I’d run across in the Built Infrastructure readings for the Exclusion and Inequality Intensive. In particular, a lot of her examples were about disconnects between organizations with money power and organizations they were trying to “help.” Things like a University in some country in Europe (I want to say it was one of the Scandinavian countries, but I could be misremembering) wanting to introduce a birthing technique that they said they had found to improve outcomes in a rural health clinic in some country in Africa. The staff at the health clinic were outraged when they discovered what the technique was: a variation on squatting while giving birth. The director of the health clinic refused the partnership, pointing out that that was how women had been giving birth locally until “experts” from the global north had come in and insisted that giving birth hitched up in stirrups in a hospital bed was the better way. There was another example where a country (didn’t mention where but also sounded like a global north country) wanted to provide aid money for contraceptives to a country in Africa. But when the country replied, “That’s great. We’ll be able to buy so many contraceptives from China with that money,” the country stipulated that the money could only be used to be contraceptives manufactured in the country providing the money (which of course would be considerably more expensive than the Chinese contraceptives and thus would help keep far fewer women from having unwanted pregnancies).

An article that came up that was interesting : a doctor in Switzerland wants to automate the process of deciding if someone after medically-assisted suicide is mentally fit enough to choose to die under a Swiss law that requires a psychological evaluation. The article goes into hospitals using algorithms to make other kinds of life and death decisions. If you read it, also read these two articales in AP and the Guardian about assisted suicide in Canada, and then tell me if this isn’t a creepy dystopia in the making. (Also, is just letting everyone kill themselves—and even potentially charging them to do it—if they’re too miserably impaired to function at what society deems “good” standards the most Capitalist answer to poverty ever?)

A topic update

As you’ve perhaps noticed, I keep finding myself gravitating toward how the makeup of who has the money/power in these systems heavily influences what does and doesn’t become implemented and who gets screwed over as a result. And so, I find myself gravitating toward my fourth topic suggestion from week 4: Is it possible to predict what climate policies will get passed by a legislative body by looking at the makeup of that body.

Some thoughts toward that end:

Project form: Part A) A simulation that takes in certain information about a policy and then runs a vote to decide if that policy will be passed in a certain legislature. If it fails, it states why it fails, given the information it has on what climate policies get passed within that legislature. Part B) Tracks different legislatures/congresses and policies coming up for a vote for any major changes that might change the voting outcome. Flags these and reports them. (this could ultimately be a tool to help reporters track climate policies in different countries) Part C) Paper on all the problems with the things the program(s) use(s) to make decisions—this is based on the idea that we examine less powerful groups in similar ways, for example, why might create predictions on refugees based on certain simplified variables even though every single refugee is a complex human being with a story with many different parts.

Possible questions to explore: Who is making policy decisions about climate change, how are they making those decisions, and can we use the history of legislatures/congresses to predict how likely dramatic climate change policy is to get passed in different governments around the world?

The idea is to turn how we study people and groups around to examine extremely powerful groups whose decisions hold the potential to marginalize and disempower a lot of people. I think I’m open to exploring other possible topics that might be better examined within this framework.

Toward that end, I discussed the viability of my building the simulator in Part A with a developer familiar with my strengths and limitations, and she thought it was feasible so long as I figure out a way to score the policies. There are considerably greater challenges with Part B (so this may or may not be doable in the time period depending on how much time it takes to solve all the challenges with Part A).

4 replies to “Power’s Discontents – Week 4/5”

1. Darcie Harding says:

Those are honestly fascinating circumstances that are definitely unique to the specific experience of migrants in that situation Theresa, so many things I would have never thought of having not encountered those circumstance as a frontline user.

In reading your project ideas list here again I thought I would share with you a potential lead on some work that might be related – Pia Andrews (who is an amazing resource for knowledge in the digital policy and provision of government services) did some work on Rules as Code when she did a stint here in Canada. Here are a few leads if you are interested in learning about Rules as Code: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pS5lJh2OpU https://govinsider.asia/inclusive-gov/four-things-you-should-know-about-rules-as-code/ https://www.digital.nsw.gov.au/article/rules-code-nsw-joins-worldwide-movement-make-better-rules

1. These are so good and I’m still not done going through them. Hope to have thoughts in a week or two when I’m hopefully not drowning in group projects.

2. Maryam Garba-Sani says:

Wow- Theresa, this is fascinating. Loads to take in and unpack, but in a deliciously enriching way so thank you. I’ll also be taking away the papers you linked.
    Interesting to learn about the use of digital IDs in China and how this affects the opportunities of foreigners. In this case, it’s probably a good thing that a large portion of the small number of foreigners that live in China, are “privileged” so to say in their connections or by virtue of the country they migrated from being in the global North. I do however wonder how the native Chinese population who are digitally excluded navigate a system that seems to rely so heavily on digital IDs?
    The topic area you’ve chosen is great too and I think is really meaningful. I like how thought out your approach is… have you started thinking about how the simulation in part A would work and how you hope to “debias” the data processing as much as possible? I was also wondering whether you’d considered broadening the power actors you’re looking at… i.e., rather than just looking at a legislative body, also including people/companies that may influence the decisions of that body (e.g., the large tech companies and philanthropists like Bill Gates- who seems to be shaking the boat in the climate change space, an example being the set up of the Breakthrough catalyst initiative (https://breakthroughenergy.org/our-work/catalyst/ ), which I believe brings together large organisations from the private sector to fund climate change solutions). That being said, maybe it becomes too complicated to introduce too many actors, and maybe it’s just an implicit assumption that these actors external to the legislative body may influence their decisions. I guess that may even come to light when you look into the makeup of the legislative body…I’m going around in circles a little bit so I’ll stop now 🙂

1. On digital exclusion of native Chinese: those without access to digital tools probably don’t got very far. But Chinese ID cards do have a chip in them and a unique number, so it would be possible for a person to move around somewhat with just the card (like in many systems it is possible for a gatekeeper to scan a person’s ID card or enter in their ID number to pull up their PCR test history and many cities/provinces technically have a rule on the books that no one is supposed to be excluded just because they don’t have a cell phone with a health code app, so sometimes there are sign in sheets that the person can stick their id information in), but in general, I think if you don’t have access to these digital tools or to a family member with access, you probably don’t do much moving outside your community/sphere of familiarity. Like if I use my daughter for example (even though she’s not native Chinese) who lacks many of the digital tools like a health code and wallet for example, she has formed relationships with certain shopkeepers in the blocks near our neighborhood and can go in and either pay in cash or take a picture of the store’s payment qr code and send it to me or if she has no phone on her, she can give the shopkeeper my Wechat ID or phone number in order to contact me for payment. Obviously it’s easier for a kid to talk people into giving them access to places without the expected ID tools than it would be for an adult, but because enforcement of barriers is hyperlocal, it means you’ll have place that will let you have access and let you do things that they might not let strangers do (Although that being said, Shanghai in the last couple of months installed surveillance cameras on store doors to catch people who are not scanning “place” codes with their phones–but most of the country is not Shanghai). So if you’re a retiree who doesn’t want to hassle with phones, you’re probably fine. However, if you’re say a victim of trafficking (there were a couple really high profile sex-trafficking cases in Chinese media earlier this year), it would make it even harder to get help, I would think.

The power actors point is a good one and one I need to give more thought to because it opens a Pandora’s Box, but perhaps a necessary one given these people appear to have the fate of the world in their hands. I’ve thought through the simulation quite a bit, but ran into issues when I attempted to look at one legislative body and the kinds of decisions they make that fall under the topic of “climate change” for my Exclusion and Inequality essay, and there are a lot of problems at play including that some countries attempt to pass climate legislation that applies to other countries. I had thought perhaps there might be a way of “grading” climate legislation for quality, but having climate legislation that is not actually about climate but about other political factors, complicates things.