UPCOMING GRADUATES – ELLIE WALKER

This week on the blog, we are featuring soon-to-be-graduate Ellie Walker!

img_0982-jpgMuch of my recent illustration is a concerned with the environment – sharing an appreciation for the outdoors, and using illustration to attempt to address environmental issues.

Some of my fourth-year work was spent designing rootmap, a map of where to buy local and sustainable food in Edinburgh. The decisions we make about food does not just affect us, it impacts our environment, the people who produce it, our local economy and much more. I think it’s important to be mindful of this. Designing rootmap was one small way to try and help others consider responsible and sustainable food options and practically point them in the right direction to find it! I like to make illustration that is useful and practical, this gives me motivation and purpose whilst designing.

(See more at www.edinburghrootmap.com)

walrus-6_800img_0387-jpg

Much of my work is inspired by being outdoors and I often draw whilst out and about, picking up inspiration from shapes, patterns, colours, stories that I see.

I’m also very inspired by literature, music and history – these themes also crop up in my work now and then

I’m currently working on a seasonal food calendar, wildlife-spotting book for kids, and doing some illustrations based on some favourite extracts of poetry.

08august-jpg

www.elliewalker.com