Personal Reflection – Daniela

For me (although we had some mishaps) the exhibition was a success, I would love to be able to redo it again, with more time in our hands to fix all those things we initially wanted to do, but had to cut out because of our limited timeline. If we could, developing the first-person views of the audience going thru the whole stairs from top to bottom, and interacting with the movement with the sensors, making it travel time and space, would be ideal.

Dreaming big, in the future, it would be amazing if we can find a sponsor for the exhibition, and show it in a cultural space around Edinburgh, or even during the Fringe Festival.

Before this project, I had no prior experience with LiDAR technology and was unfamiliar with its applications. However, I became intrigued by its potential uses and decided to explore it further. Throughout the project, I have gained valuable knowledge on how to gather and manage cloud points using LiDAR, and have experimented with creating 2D and 3D variations of the cloud points. 

I learned a great deal working with a multidisciplinary team, as it was my first time creating such a complete project with other disciplines. While my knowledge about sound was inexistent before the project, I have now learned useful information that could help me in future projects.

I think one of the best decisions I took this year was choosing this course. At first, I was not really sure, as I thought that working with such a big team was probably gonna be a problem, as it can be difficult for all to be on the same page. But after our initial first meeting, those fears went out the window. Truly I have never worked with such a great team, where everyone involved is so willing and excited to learn new things and give their best for the development of the project.

I want to thank each of my team members for all the hard work, and dedication put into this project. The sound task force, David, Chenyu, Xiaoqing, and YG, that created the most amazing immersive sound experience. The Touch Designer Team, Allison, Yijun, and Yuxuan for the amazing development they had of learning TD from scratch, as well as all their testing with Audruino.  Molly for her leadership and with whom I made a great team working in the project management, and development of the final exhibition. I feel extremely proud of all that we achieved during this semester.

I also want to thank our tutor, Asad, for all his incredible mentorship, who helped us give structure to the crazy ideas we all had in our heads. And our course organizer Jules, for the support given to us to make the exhibition possible in the way we imagined it from the beginning.

Daniela M