Dani – First Thoughts

Place

From the first session we had, I started to record my ideas on what I believe place is, as well as what we could do with this prompt for the assignment we have this semester.

I tend to ask questions to myself so here are some of them.

What meaning do we leave behind in our place?

How is this jump between a place and a non-place?

The creation of bridges and walls between places?

How much of the space we inhabit is actually ours?

How much of our “being” do we leave behind in a place that we spend a lot of time in, or that we care about?

How can we show our emotions as we are going through a predetermined space/place?

Why do we have such strong connections to our environments?

While I might not have the answer to my questions it does help me gather my thoughts about our topic. I would like to start researching and exploring how we can answer these questions.

One thing I’m really excited about is starting to work with the LiDAR technology as I have seen some projects online that show just how incredible the technology is.

Such as the LIDAR Scanning the Museum photography project from Ben Snell, where he placed the LiDAR Scanner in the Carnegie Museum of Art, as people were walking by. Creating a series of photography where we can see a timeline of the “ghosts” of the individuals that walked through.

Another incredible project is Nimbes an immersive visual 360 installation of a virtual universe, created by Joanie Lemercier. This is a 15-minute video that takes the spectator on a journey through a virtual universe, showing constellations, natural landscapes, and crumbling architecture.

Daniela Morales

27 January 2023