I referenced in an earlier blog post that I have become particularly fond of the 5th floor of the University Library in George Square. In fact I am here again as I type this. I went to check in via FourSquare and noticed the following comment from Pearson – Always Learning:

George Square Library gets the thumbs up

So I am clearly not alone in favouring this spot for some quiet, reflective study. A simple look around me also tells me this. In Week 12 (revision week) there is not a spare desk to be found. It occurs to me that there are multitudinous reasons why this space is favoured:

• it is warm (it is currently -3°C outside)
  • there is no cost to entry (except of course a valid student or staff ID card)
  • there is no cost to staying
  • it is quiet
  • it has plug sockets for your mobile devices (well, ordinarily it does)
  • it has printers
  • it has books
  • it has lots of other people doing something very similar to yourself.

It is this last point which I think warrants emphasis. Does being surrounded by people engaged in a similar activity to you help create a sense of community (even if you are not talking to any of them)? I think it definitely helps combat any sense of isolation which is often cited as a downside to online study.

Finally, I want to mention how the sounds of the library (the hushed whispers, the crinkling of a crisp packet, the unzipping of a bag) bring to mind the sounds associated with ASMR. If I were to record these sounds (for the purpose of listening to them in a non-library environment) I should therefore utilise the binaural recording method¹.

¹ @Phil – I would love to hear the soundscape you recorded for the Library project. Where did you place the mics?

I know this blog post has no academic value. I just wanted to log my thoughts. Happy to remove before submitting if you think appropriate.