Press "Enter" to skip to content

What do I hope to learn from this programme

First and foremost, as someone with limited knowledge in the field of data ethics, I hope this programme can provide me with an invaluable opportunity to grasp the basic theoretical framework of ethical concepts. In today’s data-driven world, where ethical considerations play a pivotal role, it is crucial to delve into this subject.

In terms of my personal encounters with artificial intelligence (AI) and data in my daily life, I frequently encounter AI in films and television, and data-driven systems in various corporate accounting setups. By immersing myself in this project, I aim to raise my understanding of data and AI to a theoretical level. I also aim to develop a comprehensive understanding of the legal, policy and design aspects that underpin these technologies.

Based on my past experiences, I’ve observed the widespread application of big data and artificial intelligence, particularly in large corporations that rely on automated systems for their day-to-day financial operations. Surprisingly, ethical conflicts related to AI are relatively rare in the field of taxation, which was my undergraduate field of study. Through this course, I aim to bridge this gap by sharing my practical insights and experiences in the field of taxation with colleagues working in related disciplines. I believe this interaction will help us collectively chart the future course of data ethics and its intersections with AI.

Furthermore, this interdisciplinary learning experience will allow me to connect the dots between data, AI and ethics from different perspectives. By situating my knowledge of data and AI within a broader ethical framework, I hope to spark innovative ideas that can guide my future career path.

Throughout my educational journey, I have dabbled in programming, primarily learning the VB language in high school and only scratching the surface of Python in college. Through this course, I want to rekindle my interest in programming and delve deeper into it. Learning programming languages is not only practical, but also brings immense joy in solving complex problems.

Finally, I recognise that teamwork is an integral aspect of this project. Working with students from different backgrounds, each with their unique nationalities and linguistic nuances, is a learning opportunity in itself. Overcoming language barriers and fostering effective collaboration will be a skill that I aim to develop throughout this course. I believe that these experiences will not only enrich my understanding of the subject matter, but will also provide me with valuable interpersonal skills for my future endeavours.