I hadn’t thought so much about lighting for this project before this week. During the day the building is design to let plenty of natural light in and using this light will be encouraged. However for times without daylight the artificial lighting introduced will be fairly discreet and subtle. There are a couple features involving light I explored through sketches. Also for the detail drawings I plan to include strip lighting along the surround desk as well as some task lighting for the adjustable desktops. These are all explored in sketches shown below.

Above is a sketch showing the ceiling over the Lab and staff hallway. This is proposed to be a feature of mycelium panels in blue, purples and greens, arranged in the formations of hexagonal crystals. Within these is proposed to be hexagonal light panels fitted within, alloying the mycelium panels to defuse the light. It was suggested to look at the Applelec LED light sheets as these can be specified to fit in varying forms. I will research this further if I have time but I will concentrate on specifying lighting for my detail drawings first.

For my detail drawings it was suggested I explore the products of LED Linear and LED Flex. There I found strips of diffused LED lighting that could neatly fit along a notch  on the curved edge of the surround desk. This will provide subtle light that highlights the fluid shape of the Art Circle Boundary as well as mood lighting for the space outwith daylight hours.