Student Stories

Student Stories

Blogs and vlogs from students of the University of Edinburgh

Exploring Edinburgh step by step…

Johanna standing in a forest

…by Johanna / from Germany / studying Psychology / 4th year

So you’re interested in student life at Edinburgh University? Whether you’ve gotten an offer, confirmed your place or are simply trying to learn more about this wonderful city, this is the blog post for you! My name’s Johanna, I am going into my final year of Undergraduate Psychology at Edinburgh University this September and I couldn’t be happier to share some of my favourite spots all around Edinburgh with you. I am aware that your experience might be different than you’d hoped for thanks to all the global chaos, but I hope some of my secret tips inspire you to explore and do what you can within government regulations.

First tip: Arrive early! In my first year, I took the chance to come to Edinburgh a week before freshers and really loved having some time to settle in the city rather than diving directly into studenthood. Don’t get me wrong, there’ll already be plenty of students around, but, looking back, I really appreciate the opportunity to explore my new home on my own a little. During this week, I did a lot of stereotypically touristy things that helped me get a feel for the city, its history, culture and lifestyle. I visited the castle, some of the main museums (including the National Museum of Scotland and the City of Edinburgh Museum), walked up Arthur’s Seat, had some vegetarian Haggis; I even went to Portobello Beach. Top tip for a little sightseeing break and satisfying your sweet tooth: Try authentic Fudge at the Fudge Kitchen on the Royal Mile!

Edinburgh Castle on a sunny day

The view of the castle from Waterstone’s Café on Princes Street, dreamy!

With the semester beginning and student life properly starting, I found myself doing less and less touristy things and really becoming a resident in Edinburgh. I collected some favourite cafés to study in, continued exploring all the different libraries our University has to offer, checked out more and more pubs and established some routine jogging routes. One of my favourite cafés is Brew Lab close to Old College (try their Oat Flat White!). If you like a more alternative atmosphere, definitely try out Beetroot Sauvage in Newington, the combination of their vegan (often raw) cuisine with their upstairs community yoga studio did wonders for many a deadline-stressed afternoon. And going for a run around Holyrood Park is absolutely wonderful; there are some spaces where you can barely hear traffic and truly relax into what feels like a very un-urban atmosphere.

Johanna looking at the Edinburgh skyline

Taking a minute to rise above the city chaos in Holyrood Park

Throughout my three years at Edinburgh, I have made a point to continue exploring new spaces and break routines. Even if only for an afternoon, getting some change of scenery can really help put things into perspective! Some of my favourite places close to Edinburgh are Musselburgh Beach, Cramond Island and even Roslin Glen, all of which are easily reachable via bus. If you’re looking for a more urban alternative, definitely don’t skimp on Glasgow; there’s amazing galleries, fun shops and, well, lots of fun Glaswegians. I’m not much of a hiker, but definitely still recommend visiting the Highlands. During my last visit to the Cairngorms, the weather was pretty bleak during my short hike, but that just made the hot chocolate after that much better!

Whatever you do during your time in Edinburgh, I hope some of my tips inspired you to never stop seeking new places, experiences and hot drinks! We can’t wait to have you.