Hello everyone!

Since I was a child, I’ve always been very fond of marine animals, visiting beaches, scuba diving, and collecting seashells. I find the ocean and water bodies to be very fascinating and exciting.

Though now many water bodies have become inaccessible or have become heavily polluted. Therefore, the object on which I’ve worked is Marine garbage.

Seashells (on acidification)

In this photograph, we can see how the seashells have lost their shine, their lacquer, and its radiance because of the marine garbage. This has happened because we as humans have failed to protect our environment our ecosystem and marine life. The water bodies have become a source of dumping ground which has caused great harm to the marine ecosystems.

Marine garbage collected from the seashore.

Marine ecosystems are also threatened by marine debris, which can strangle, suffocate, and starve animals. Much of this debris, as seen in the photographs I’ve clicked, such as plastic bags, straws, biscuit wrappers, and posters gets swept into sewers and storm drains and eventually out to sea, turning our oceans into trash soup.

Meanwhile, ocean acidification is making it tougher for shellfish and coral to survive. Though they absorb about a quarter of the carbon pollution created each year by burning fossil fuels, oceans are becoming more acidic. This process makes it harder for shellfish and other species to build shells and may impact the nervous systems of sharks, clownfish, and other marine life.

The objects used for this project were collected from a seashore.

Clock in New York Counts Down the Time Remaining to Avert Climate Disaster

Through this project and the found objects which I’ve used, I want to make people aware of the adverse effects of water pollution, climate change, and harmful dumping techniques. We, as humans, need to step up and hold ourselves accountable for the damage we have brought to the environment before it’s too late.

Thank you!

-Moh Mandhyan